Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C question

Old 11-19-2009, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default T/C question

getting my dad a TC muzzle loader for christmas. i like the encore. is that a good choice though versus the triumph? also there is a started kit, but does that have what we need, or is there other stuff i should buy.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

If he is not going to switch barrels the Triumph would be my choice of these two. Is he going to scope the gun? I handled a Triumph and it is hard to get down enough for the open sights but it would be good with a scope. There is always more stuff to buy but the starter kit should be enough to take a few shots.
Art
Old 11-19-2009, 12:12 PM
Fork Horn

well i think its possible he will switch barrels. here in oregon though its not legal to use a scope when hunting.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:36 PM
Typical Buck

You are going to pay a lot more for the Encore with the ability to switch to centerfire barrels. It also will qualify as a "firearm" which requires special paperwork that the pure muzzleloaders do not. You could also look at the CVA Optima Elite or the Apex which are rifles that can accept centerfire barrels and the cost is less than the equivalent T/C Encore. The Optima and Apex rifles use a Bergara barrel which is a quality made item that compares well with the T/C barrels. I have an Optima Elite stainless with a muzzleloading barrel, a .270 rifle barrel and a 12ga. turkey shotgun barrel. It is well made and a very nice combination muzzleloader/rifle/shotgun.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:47 PM
Banned

if you're in Oregon i dont think the encore or triump are legal there. i thought oregon rules said it had to be exposed ignition?