Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
CVA Accura Hang Fire Help Using 110 Grain BH209 >

CVA Accura Hang Fire Help Using 110 Grain BH209

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Accura Hang Fire Help Using 110 Grain BH209

Old 11-17-2009, 04:36 PM
Spike

Question CVA Accura Hang Fire Help Using 110 Grain BH209

What primer do I need to use to eliminate my hang fires. The gun is brand new. Tried CCI 209 primers but I am not sure if they were old stock. They came with a old TC Woods Muzzleloaderd. I got hang fires using them. Then I tried the Winchester Muzzleloader Primers and got a hang fire again. Now I have Winchester Shot Shell Primer. I have not had a chance to use these yet.

Do I need to change primers or make a breech change?

THANKS!

Last edited by 95RapidRiot; 11-17-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:53 PM
Banned

sounds like the primers or to loose of a fitting load
Old 11-17-2009, 04:59 PM
Spike

Thumbs up

They are pretty loose I think???? I can easily take them out with my finger nails.

THANKS!
Old 11-17-2009, 06:09 PM
Spike

Default 209M or 209A

Who has the the 209M or 209A shot shell primers in stock? I need them ASAP!

THANKS!
Old 11-17-2009, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Accura is reliable with BH209, and Winchester shot gun primers, if conditions are met.

The sabot needs to be tight! The load needs to be diligently compressed. The carbon in the hole in the breech plug below the primer needs to be drilled out every 30 or so shots with a 7/64" drill.

If these conditions are met the rifle go boom every time all the time.

One thing, i haven't had a chance to try the Accura below zero as of yet, but my Omega works just fine with BH209 when it is below zero. The Accura works good when the temperature is in the teens, and when it is wet, and in the snow.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

95RapidRiot

Two thoughts....

The most normal reason for 'hangfires' in my limitd experiance is a sabot that is not fairly snug going down and then you must compress the load.

Primers... word has it you need either CCI-209M's of Fed 209A's and I think you are better off using either of those two especially in cold weather. But to be honest with you I used a variety of 209 and not had a problem once I learned to compress the load, and now in the same sentence were I hunting in cold weather I would feel a lot better with the M's or the A's.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
95RapidRiot

Two thoughts....

The most normal reason for 'hangfires' in my limitd experiance is a sabot that is not fairly snug going down and then you must compress the load.

Primers... word has it you need either CCI-209M's of Fed 209A's and I think you are better off using either of those two especially in cold weather. But to be honest with you I used a variety of 209 and not had a problem once I learned to compress the load, and now in the same sentence were I hunting in cold weather I would feel a lot better with the M's or the A's.
Mike, is this something (loose Powder) related with the primers? Since I made the switch to loose powder and our Weather here in N.Y. has been on the mild side for November, I have'nt had to worry about the cold weather as of yet. Do primers make a difference when using loose powder insted of pellets in the cold weather?
I use T7 and Win W209 Primers.
Thank's
Ron (BP)
Old 11-18-2009, 03:52 AM
Spike

Default Accura 209 hangfire

I purchased an Accura 209 earlier this summer, and have had a couple hangfires. However, I had done a wet patch swab between shots, and not followed up with a dry patch and just firing a primer afterwards. I tried Fusion 209 ML primers and had about a dozen misfires. I then switched to Winchester 209 shotgun primers. Have not had a problem since. Make sure your bullets are firmly seated. I have also been using Triple 7 Magnum pellets (2 only!!) and had quite good results. I am using Barnes Red-Hots 300 grain HP solid copper bullets. It's a very good combo - at 50 yards, 3 shots in a 3/4" inch group. Am waiting for gun season here in OH to give it a real test.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Western Powder says to only use HOT 209 primers with BH 209
Not the new ML primers,they are for other powders.
I switched to the CCIm and have had zero problems.
If you have a Gander Mtn close by they stock the CCIM and the FED 209A

I picked up 300 of each
Old 11-18-2009, 06:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

Mike, is this something (loose Powder) related with the primers? Since I made the switch to loose powder and our Weather here in N.Y. has been on the mild side for November, I have'nt had to worry about the cold weather as of yet. Do primers make a difference when using loose powder insted of pellets in the cold weather?
I use T7 and Win W209 Primers.
It is important to seat the sabot/projectile on all powders and it is important for accuracy to try to get about the same seasting pressure each time - I know you know that but I thought I would bring it up again.

In your case using T7 the cooler primer you can use the better of you are - less crud problems. So your T7 and W209's should work just fine. The reason problems develope with BH is that it is a progressive burning powder (which T7 is not) - it needs its on compression and heat to sustain ignition once you get it started.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.