Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
T/C Triumph scope base, rings and scope????? >

T/C Triumph scope base, rings and scope?????

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Triumph scope base, rings and scope?????

Old 11-16-2009, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default T/C Triumph scope base, rings and scope?????

OK I went out and ordered a T/C triumph (black with weathershield) and got it for $402.79 (thats with tax) at Dicks Sporting Goods. Ok deal I think?

While I am waiting for it to come in I want to get the base, rings and scope around so I can get her all dressed up and ready to rock and roll the day she comes in.

--What scope base will this gun take?

--Thinking about over and under rings...good or bad idea?

--I am putting on a Leupold 2X7 VARI X II...Do i need more power and if so any suggestions. Not looking to spend alot (I know bad rule of thumb but hey I dont a have a ton of money)

THANKS FOR THE HELP EVERYONE
Old 11-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Typical Buck

Bases same as Omega. Bad idea on the over under rings,JMHO
Old 11-16-2009, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I will check i got mine mounted from a fellow member. HE mounted the scope on a base and bore sighted it. Then took it off so all i had to do i set the rings on the base and tighen a screw. Heck it was real close had me on paper about 6 low and to the left. Heck the mount and sight from gander on my 22 was not on paper.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah if you could please check...I may also be getting a scope with a little more power, not sure yet. What scope do you have on yours?
Old 11-17-2009, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Honestly, a 2x7 is probably plenty of power for a muzzle loader if you already have it. You probably wont get any super long range shots much past 150 or 200 yards. I know quite a few guys who use 4x fixed power scopes just fine. I use a 3x9x40mm on both of mine and they work great however, if I already had a 2x7 I would have used it instead.

As for the see thru rings which I assume is what you are calling over and under rings I have mixed feelings on them. I know a few guys that love them on their hunting rifles however, I also know others that say they tried them and didn't like them. Then I come online and most all reviews of them are negative. I decided since I'd never tried them that I wanted to try a set of them and I honestly think they look good on a lot of guns. So I tried a set on my Remington Genesis muzzle loader.

I do like them but I don't know that I like them anymore than regular old mounts. I've heard you can't rest your cheek on the stock with them since the scope is so high up. I don't find this to be true however, in my natural position when I first position my cheek on the stock it usually has me setup perfectly for the open sights. I have to slightly re position myself to use the scope. So it's not the natural way I look at it however, at the same time it's not like I have to hold it weird or do anything uncomfortable. I have also found I don't really use the open sights once I put the scope on. I usually use the scope. Do I dislike these? Not really. However, I don't know that I like them much better than regular rings either. I will say I do like them on this rifle just because I love the fiber optic open sights on it and can shoot pretty well with them so it's nice to be able to use both. I will say too that the view with the open sights isn't the best as the scope covers up high so you can't see way above what you are shooting at.

Overall, I like them enough I wouldn't change them on this rifle and in the future I'd use them if I found them on clearance or something but at full price I don't know that I'd pick them and if it was a target shooting rifle not a hunting rifle I'd for sure probably go with regular rings. On a hunting rifle I think they are fine but not the greatest.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:23 PM
Spike

I have the same gun and originally went with the TC gorilla rings... BUT just didnt like the robustness of them.. I took them off and put on a EABCO peep sights/base.. Then I used Warne high, quick detach rings (warne make the maxima rings for TC).. These rings are stout and will return to zeror - I had the scope on and off 3 times and each time no noticable change in zero.. I am using Nikon prostaff 2-7 scope and it works just fine..

I highly recommend the Warne rings.. and I believe they have a base that works as well

brian
Old 11-17-2009, 04:33 PM
Fork Horn

I have the same rifle.

TC makes a Weaver style base for the Triumph/Omega/Encore, I think it's $15 and should be available anyplace that sells TC. I mounted my scope in Warne QD rings (Med Height). I've used these rings for years and they are rock solid. Midway, Cabelas, Brownells, and Midsouth Shooters Supply all stock them.

IMHO, forget the peek-a-boo mounts.

When it's really thick or I'm sneaking around on a rainy or snowy day, I just put my scope in my pack. Put the scope back on and it's always back to zero.

Enjoy!
Old 11-17-2009, 05:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

i am shooting the 3-9x40 or 30 not sure which it is the nikon omega bdc scope so theres only one either 30 or 40. Nice scope matches the gun both are realtree AP well both mine are. I could not find the box for the rings so i will email the seller and ask which bases and rings it is
Old 11-17-2009, 05:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Any of the bases made for Omega or Triumph will do fine, I would go with Warner rings[steel] and while many scopes will do the job the one I have on both my guns that I use for a combination of target shooting and hunting is the Nikon Omega. I have a large draw full of good scopes but when I buy a new gun I also buy a Nikon Omega they do well for me especially for long range silhouette and hunting. The precision that it allows me to hit the 6 inch 250 yd silhouette is way beyond any other scope I have tried.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

I would look at a 3x9x40 in the Vortex line. I have one of these scopes on my muzzleloader and love it. It is a great scope and is super clear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.