Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Now thats an eye opener >

Now thats an eye opener

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Now thats an eye opener

Old 11-12-2009, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Now thats an eye opener

Well mom and dad sleep in and i worke about at 7 wondering why me and mom had not left to school. (college not highschool ofcourse.) Guess dad turned off the alarm and mom missed her morning class. SO i figured i am up and it is nice out lets hit the the range again. I head there no fog no rain perfect day no wind even. I get there and a ton of fog is rolling over the banks of the strip pits and i could not see 25 yards down range. The on dang stop in the county that has fog as thick as it can get without being rain is the spot i am shooting at

I set everything up and cleanned all the oil out of the barrel. And there was alot as i lubed the crap out of it. Get ready to shoot and wait out the fog. I set up at 50 yards.I dropped to 100 grains First shot low to the right. you would thinking being zero for 100. Well ok within a inch of zero at a 100. I ant there yet. It would be high. Second shot i tried the 125 to make sure the scope was still close The second shot is 1/2 inch high and right of the other. Well i wonder if the scope is tight. I checked it was nothing loose on the base or the rings. The guy that was there asked what i was shooting. I told him 125 grains shockwave. he offered to let me use one of the cva slick loads.The first one was 1 inch high maybe 1/4 inch right. Second was 1/2 hi and left of the first.
I was beginning to think the triumph did not like the shockwaves. Odd since tc makes both.

I was a little ticked thinking here he is using a cheap wolf and some cheap cva bullets and pyro pellets. I am using 500 triumph and shockwaves with the omega scope and ant getting anything const.
I load to shoot another shockwave. Hold take a good minute to get it on. Then pull the trigger. I forgot my primer so just a click. I notice something i was looking down the side of the scope and had closed my eye when i pulled the trigger. Not only had i closed my eyes i had moved my head. Ok at this point i know my proplem. Yes i know i am the proplem not the gun. I stick a primer and and make sure i slowly squeeze the trigger boom just alittle high and almost dead on. Infact i had split the paper between the to slick load cva bullet holes. At this point i am thinking the gun is close and i am the issue. GOod because i can fix my proplem. Load up and and am carfull not to be a chicken Boom a inch right same hieght. So i am thinking i have a 1 inch group 2 inchs or so high. which should be right since it is set for 100 and i am shooting 50. I drop out to 100 and do the dam flintch close eye crap. I figured it was enough for a day and i would just do more damage if i keep shooting. Atleast i know the issue. My hope is to go out tomorrow and shoot some more hopefully. I was ready to toss the gun in the lake when the guy is shooting a walmart wolf and getting a inch group and i am lucky to hit a 8 inch circle. But i admit it it is me not the gun. Easy to fix. Not sure why have have quick fired ARs and shot 12ga shotguns all day long. The only thing i can think of is i am alittle scared of it since i hurt my shoulder with my 500 because i did not hold it right. Plus the doctor stick a needle in my shoulder and gave me a cort shot. And hit hurt like heck.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

I notice something i was looking down the side of the scope and had closed my eye when i pulled the trigger. Not only had i closed my eyes i had moved my head. ........ i am the issue. Good because i can fix my proplem.
Yes, you can fix your problem - but it's not always easy. Lots of careful shooting with very light loads in your Triumph may help (or a .22 rimfire - it's cheaper). Right now your brain is convinced that firing that gun is going to hurt, and it's mighty hard to convince your brain to stop thinking that way. Quick firing ARs may be the worst sight picture/trigger control training possible. That's a real good way to learn bad habits (fun though ).

Last edited by Semisane; 11-12-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tim you are on your way to driving tacks.

Follow Semisane's advice. A good light load that I actually hunt with is 80 grains powder and the buffalo ballet. I like the 270 grain for hunting but they also make a lighter one in 240 grain. They are cheap and probably the best projectile there is for breaking in your rifle. With Triple seven, 70 grains would be sufficient. Actually these all lead projectiles need to be limited to 1600 fps anyway. 60 grains would work on the lighter ones producing velocities in the neighborhood of 1500 fps. So for half the cost you could get alot inexpensive shooting in and like I said, nothing would break in your barrel better than a couple boxes of ball-ets.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Banned

i'd you'd get off them damn mag loads you wouldnt be flinching!!

Get some cheapie sabots and load up 70-80gr powder and just slow down and have fun with it. After 9 years of muzzleloading, i still shoot lighter charge loads.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 11-12-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Buy your self a bunch of primers and practice with out a load in the gun. It will give you a chance to work on the control problem. Lee
Old 11-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot everything. Some pretty hard kicking guns. A .458 Win. Mag. on a rest will wake you up. My Benelli with 3 1/2 mags will also get your attention.

I rifle hunt with a 7mm Rem mag. It has given me a few bloody scope crescents on my brow when shooting off a bench.

I've learned, when bench shooting big kickers to add a piece of foam between the stock and my shoulder.

Also I've shot some bench rest matches. The trick is to squeeze and not know when the guns going to fire.

When you take a shot on an animal you'll never feel the recoil.

Last edited by thom2; 11-12-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Fork Horn

Hope you have better luck getting your Triumph to shoot than I had.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

[quote=bigtim6656;3503587]Well mom and dad sleep in and i worke about at 7 wondering why me and mom had not left to school. (college not highschool ofcourse.) Guess dad turned off the alarm and mom missed her morning class.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Exactly right! Your not suppos-to know when the gun goes off, it should be a surprise. I tell mysely on every shot....concentrate on the bull, concentrate on the bull, concentrate on the bull, all the while Im SLOWLY pulling the trigger, than BAMM!
If you (anticapate) the shot your gonna flinch every time. And you cant buy a new MLer and shoot the crap out of it everyday killing your arm and expect to do good, you know with every shot it's gonna HURT, so that makes you flinch even more.
Here's a little tip, I learned this from some Professional IBO (Bow Shooters) to practice good form, and it will work with your MLer also. Go OUTSIDE, and just use a primer as stated above in this forum, and load it into the MLer and then (CLOSE YOU EYES) and aim and slowly shoot. You will have a (better feel for the MLer) and how it works as it's going off, and you not shooting at a target trying to hit a certain spot, your just practicing good form and shooting.
Give your arm a chance to heal a little, then practice your shooting skills on the target, dont worry where your hitting as your just trying to get your skills down first. Once you overcome your flinching, then shoot at you spot on the target.
It will al come togeather for you when you quit trying so hard, just relax and do things slow, and think about each and every shot between shots.
Success to you!
(BP)
Old 11-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some good advice has been given -
get a couple hundred primers and practice sight hold and trigger squeeze. then step up to light loads and practice some more.
forget those 125 grain loads for now! just wasting powder and developing bad habits in the process. an 80 or 90 grain powder charge behind a quality 250 - 300 grain bullet will kill any deer you shoot at if you hit it in the right place at a reasonable range. if you can't hit the deer it doesn't matter how much powder you pour down the bore.
accuracy is the #1 factor in any hunting situation!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.