Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
anyone use the leupold ultimate slam muzzleloader scope? >

anyone use the leupold ultimate slam muzzleloader scope?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

anyone use the leupold ultimate slam muzzleloader scope?

Old 11-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Banned

If you cant see your cross hairs, its either to early in the AM or to dark in the PM to be hunting.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
If you cant see your cross hairs, its either to early in the AM or to dark in the PM to be hunting.
Not necessarily. Legal shooting hours in Louisiana are 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset, based on sunrise/sunset tables published by the game department. It can be pretty dark within those hours on a cloudy/rainy day.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Breechplug, wanted me to post this picture for him

So here it is - I think he will follow with an explanation...

Mike would you post this pic for me on the Forum about has anyone used the Ultimate Slam ML Scope? The target was at 100yds and I was using the first (black dot) on the reticle to see where I would hit. The 5 shot group at the top was with the scope, the bottom shot was open sights. Just to show the scope is a good one and so is the accura.

Hi Mike, and Thank You for posting the pic for me! Im sorry for not replying earlier but after I sent sabotloader the pic I went BowHunting, I guess I have to get my priorities straight, LOL.
Anyway this was my 5 shot group using the (150yd Circle mark) on the Leupold USML Scope.The lower shot was done to see where I'd hit using just the open sights and I guess the shot will do if I had to use them. She does hold her own and so does My ACCURA. Anyway the Scope is complicated as everyone can see, I have read the comments and from what everyone says it has it's advantages and (possibly) some disadvantages.
I think Im gonna try using the recommended 100gr Load and see how close my marks are to the load I was using. I guess all and all it is a great scope if you got the patience to figure it out.
Please dont be afraid to buy one, just give yourself some time to figure it out. I'll post a review using the recommended 100gr or 2-pellet 20guage setting and let you know my outcome.
(BP)
Old 11-10-2009, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
damn awesome shooter there BP!!
Thank's MD, I owe it all to you for getting me away from shooting 150gr's and dropping er down to 105 & 110. The ACCURA shoots much better with a (custom Load) less recoil and a much tighter group!
(BP)
Old 11-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for all the input.. i just read tho, i put encore in my first post, i mustve have been talking bout one while posting or something because i have a triumph.. ha wow i feel dumb... oh well i still got what i wanted from this thread, sounds like a real nice scope!!
Old 11-12-2009, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well even though my ACCYRA's were already sighted in using 105 and 110gr's of Pyrodox RS and a 240gr XTP Mag with T7 Primers, I decided the ACCURA using 110gr's was'nt the one I was gonna use right away for Hunting so I re-sighted it in using the recommended load of 100gr's.
Even though Leupold recommeded a 250gr bullet I figured my 240gr XTP was close enough to do to test.
I sighted in dead on at 100yds on 6 power, then switched the power selector to the (20 guage shotgun or 2-pellet setting) Then I used the bottom of the circle as stated by them for the 150yd mark. I shot 5 times at this range and I was within a suitable group (about 2-3") for this range. I was'nt as high as I suspected I would be but, 2 shots were above the center of the target and 3 were by it. Good enough for a 150 yd shot as this would probably be as long of a shot as I would take, possibly if I decided to shoot further I figured I'd better test the 200yd mark to see if I would be up to it group wise.
I cleaned out the Mler and reloaded and shot 5 times at 200yds using the first circle on the scope for the 200yd mark. Well let me say first I consider myself a pretty good shot, Im great out to 100yds, pretty good out to 150, but 200yds is a long poke! Needless to say I got them all on paper, and believe it or not they were all in the 6" circle I had on the target. Is this good? Im really not so sure. I did'nt shoot anymore as I did'nt have the time and my arm was sore as I have been shooting a-lot lately to get ready for the up comming season, mostly at 100yds. If I can get my 200yd group's down to about 3-4" I may consider a 200yd shot using Leupolds recommended load to use the scope there way, but my load of 105gr's was much tighter at these ranges. But untill I feel real confident I probably will stick to 100-150yds as my max as I owe my best shot to the game I Hunt.
Conclusion, the Leupold Ultimate Slam Scope does what it suppos-to do......but the more and more I think about it I was shooting much better using the 105-110gr's of powder and my groups were much tighter. So I will probably go back to the way I was using the scope as I said earlier in this forum as it worked better for me my way and I was more confident it my shooting. I guess the (Custom load) that your MLer shoots is the one you should use, not what Leupold says, unless it's the load that works for you.
And that's all I have to say about that..........
(BP)
Old 11-16-2009, 04:40 PM
mountaineer magic

I have the Nikon Omegas on 4 different muzzy's so I decided to try the Ultimate Slam on the Knight Elite I just got. I figured it was time to try something different. I really like the scope. It is very nice but I like the Nikon omega's better. Maybe that's because I have been using them and have hundreds of shots with them. I have only got about a dozen shots through the Elite with the Leupold Ultimate slam, so maybe that will change,. Right now I say get a Nikon Omega.