Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
T/C Omega won't group. >

T/C Omega won't group.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Omega won't group.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by thom2
Here's the latest on getting my Omega to group. Went to 85 grains of T7 with the T/C 240 XTP. ( SEE TARGET) two in the same hole - one 2" high. I'll keep testing tomorrow when I receive the Hornady 250 SST.

Thats a little more like it. Don't know what happened on #2.

My Omega shoots the 240 XTP/Mags better than any other bullet I've tried thus far (granted... thats only been five). I shoot 80gr of Blackhorn 209 powder... its a nailer. Haven't had the thing much more than a full week and have already whacked a pair of deer with it.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default thom2's Omega Group getting closer

Attached is a target I shot this afternoon using the Hornady 250 gr SST and 100gr of T7. 110 gr of T7 wouldn't group at all.

I can't understand why two shots are high and two are low.
I swabbed the barrel the same way after each shot.

2-split patch (H2O)
1-dry patch

I think I'll weigh the powder for the next round. I believe the volume 100 gr of T7 weighs about 70 grains.
Attached Thumbnails T/C Omega won't group.-100gr-hdy-250-sst.jpg  

Last edited by thom2; 11-11-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:13 PM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by thom2
Attached is a target I shot this afternoon using the Hornady 250 gr SST and 100gr of T7. 110 gr of T7 wouldn't group at all.

2-split patch (H2O)
1-dry patch

I think I'll weigh the powder for the next round. I believe 100 gr of T7 weighs about 70 grams.
Possibility: #1 was a clean barrel. #2 and #3 look good.
#4 the barrel was warming up and changing poi
just a thought

Old 11-11-2009, 03:25 AM
Typical Buck

I have one last idea
remove the scope and shoot it with iron sights.
I had a centerfire rifle that I know groups 3 shots inside a dime at the 100 yd target.
well all I started with 2 shot the same place next shot 6" high
next low
the scope was on it way out
Old 11-11-2009, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

I think the grouping problem maybe relative to the cheap Simmons Whitetail scope I put on the Omega. Tomorrow I'm replacing it with one of my high end Leupold's off of a .270 rifle I seldom use . ——— Stay tuned.

Last edited by thom2; 11-11-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think the grouping problem maybe relative to the cheap Simmons Whitetail scope I put on the Omega. Tomorrow I'm replacing it with one of my high end Leupold's off of a .270 rifle I seldom use . ——— Stay tuned.
Bet you find it wasn't the scope. I've helped a lot of guys in my club figure out grouping problems. It's seldom a scope problem - loose mounts sometimes - but almost never the scope.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Fork Horn

It's seldom a scope problem - loose mounts sometimes - but almost never the scope.
Semisane— I put the base on with the recommended torque and used blue lock tight on all the screws including the caps. The first thing I did was check the mount. It seems tight
Old 11-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

The first thing I did was check the mount. It seems tight.
That's always the first thing I usually check too Thom.

But I screwed up big time last Saturday helping a buddy figure out grouping problems with his Knight MK-85 using T7 and Powerbelts. We put about twenty bullets down range with various loads before we realized that the front scope base was loose. After fixing that we were still having problems, though to a lesser extent. He was sure the scope was faulty. But after convincing him to try dropping the powder charge (he didn't want to go below 90 grains) we hit the magic load with 70 grains.

I don't fault you for trying the Leupold "just in case" - that's what I'd do too. I hope the scope is the source of the problem, but still bet it's not.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

(he didn't want to go below 90 grains) we hit the magic load with 70 grains.
Since I'm pulling the Simmons off anyway. I'll double check the base screws. The rings are Leupold Dual Dovetail DD Rings which are pretty stable. I'll post my finding late tomorrow.

Last edited by thom2; 11-11-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:55 AM
Typical Buck

thom2:
Keep me posted on the scope change
I like to add to center the scope take it at low power and like the in the bathroom vanity glass place it up to the glass (front part) and look into the scope then turn the adjustment screws until you see the cross hair in the middle ;now the scope in dead center in the tube

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.