Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Cleaning and Accuracy >

Cleaning and Accuracy

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cleaning and Accuracy

Old 11-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

you can send that bore butter over to my house. I'll use it.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

Alright, I have one more question...for now. I hunt a lot of places where shots between 100 - 200 yards may occur. Will 100 grains of powder be sufficient for this range? If not, is there another bullet type that will better handle the 150 grain charge that would be more appropriate for this range?

Originally Posted by bronko22000
you can send that bore butter over to my house. I'll use it.
I'd be happy to send it to you. PM me your address and I'll get it in the mail.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Banned

yes 100gr is more than enough.

www.thorbullets.com = bad ass 200 yard bullet!
Old 11-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bore butter is just fine for the Patch and ball situation it was designed for; It does not do well with sabots. Sabots are designed to be self lubricating and while you need to lube your barrel with something [I prefer Montana X bore preservative or Birchwood Casey synthetic oil after you scrub it.
Power belts can be made to work but are on the bottom of the majority of the well experienced shooters lists because of the fact that with a load that gives good terminal results [80 gr or less] you get a rainbow trajectory.
Now in some states you must use conicals if thats the case I recommend the Thor and the FPB [Hornady] Other wise I would suggest trying the Shock Wave which usually works quite well in that gun, with 110 gr. You did not say what powder, if your budget is tight use Pyrodex if you can afford the best try Blackhorn. APP is weak and gathers moisture and 777 will give most people a crudring that takes considerable scrubbing between each shot in order to maintain any accuracy.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

great advice here. Definitely drop the bore butter between shots. I have had pretty good luck swabbing with BB patches after the range for storage...but this topic has been discussed plenty. I always clean out the BB before shooting again and use a wet patch/ dry patch between shots. Also, try 100 grains and the original SW 250 w/ black sabot. I have found that to be a pretty ideal load for my Omega. Good luck.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

MountainDevil54,
Those Thors look deadly! I like the all copper construction. I'm gonna check to see if they have some at the store. If the don't I guess I can order some.

lemoyne,
I live in Tennessee and we are not confined to one type of bullet here, so I am not confined to the PBs. I am in the first stages of muzzleloading, so I am completely open to changing up my setup. I don't mind paying for quality supplies. Most of my money goes to support my hunting and fishing. I'm also single, so that helps a lot . I actually picked up a pack of Shockwaves the other day and I haven't tried them yet.

I'm not gonna hunt Saturday now since I have now learned all of this about the cleaning and bullet fragmentation. I will probably just use Saturday as a shooting day to make sure the gun is still zero'd without all the Bore Butter and crap in there. I also want to know how it handles the Shockwaves. I definitely like the idea of a flatter trajectory.

They better look out Sunday though .

Yall are great. Can't thank you enough for the help, suggestions, and advice.

Last edited by Crowkilla; 11-05-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Banned

they are not available at the store.
http://thepowerbeltforum.powerguild....llets-t591.htm

They are an awesome bullet though. They open up just like the pics on thors website
Old 11-05-2009, 03:40 PM
kb1
Fork Horn

1+ for switching to the shockwaves/sst's,I can't say i've found any other bullet that shoots better in a 1/28" rifle with the proper sabot........karl
Old 11-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

The issue is that as I continue to shoot more than 5 shots, even after removing the plug and giving it a thorough field cleaning, the accuracy starts to seriously deteriorate.
This happens with most powders. Pyrodex is one of the best powders out there but it is dirty. 150 grains of Pyrodex pellets leave a lot of fouling in the bore. When firing Pyrodex i swab the bore with a patch wetted with Windex with vinegar after every shot. Then i follow up with two dry patches. i never remove the breech plug at the range unless there is a misfire or something.

JSG and Pinnacle are clean burning powders. Awhile back i fired ten rounds without swabbing the bore using 100 grains of Pinnacle and the 250 grain SST. Distance was 100 meters and all ten bullets went into a <2.5" inch group.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
they are not available at the store.
http://thepowerbeltforum.powerguild....llets-t591.htm

They are an awesome bullet though. They open up just like the pics on thors website
Awesome! Can't beat a free sample.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.