Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New to ML, bullet advice for Accura >

New to ML, bullet advice for Accura

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New to ML, bullet advice for Accura

Old 11-05-2009, 06:53 AM
Spike

Default New to ML, bullet advice for Accura

Well, long story short I recently bought (for $60) a CVA Pro II that I found out afterwards was affected by their 95-96 recall. Today my free replacement gun (an Accura, woohoo!!!) is supposed to be delivered to my house.
Because of the hassles of corrosion by Pyro and 777 I am planning on trying some Blackhorn 209 to see how well it works with some sabots. Considering the price of bullets these days I have found the option of buying empty sabots and .45 cal bullets quite attractive price-wise. Could someone please give me some pointers as to where to start in my quest for a good load in this gun? It will be used pretty much exclusively for whitetails here in Illinois at any distance up to 150-175 yards. Keep in mind, the cheaper the ammo the more I can shoot it!
Thanks in advance, and this is a great site!
Old 11-05-2009, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

WOW an ACCURA for a Pro, good deal! In My ACCURA's I shoot Pyrodox RS, 105 and 115gr's with 240gr XTP Mag's. Yes buying in bulk is the way to go. Corrosion should'nt be a problem if you clean as your suppos-to, as some ML's like certain pwoders and you should'nt sacrafice cleaning over a powder that your ML might like better. I have no experience with Blackhorn 209 in my ACCURA's, mabey someone else does? Success to you and let us know what you decide and how you make out.
(BP)
Old 11-05-2009, 07:53 AM
Spike

Yes, I'm not complaining one bit! My Pro was a stainless model so they're sending me the stainless/black Accura. The only way it could have been better would be if they had sent me a camo thumbhole model, but as it is I'm thrilled.
Do you "roll your own" XTP's? If so, which sabots do you use? The more I read, the more I keep coming back to the 240gr XTP's and would like to try some. It costs significantly less to buy the sabots and the bullets separately, but I don't want to sacrifice reliability for a few dollars.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

I just sighted my Accura in using 90 grs. of BH209 and 200 gr. Shockwaves. Accuracy was excellent.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:42 AM
Spike

I'm just now back into ML after being away from it for years and am learning some things. One important thing is that each barrel is different. For example, when I looked for a bullet/sabot combination for my Savage, the recommendation was for 250gr. XTP's with MMP short black sabots. It required a mallet pounding on the ramrod to get them down the tight bore on my rifle. So I went to MMP's 3 Petal EZ sabot because it is thinner, but then the XTP's pushed down the bore so easy that there wasn't enough resistance for good ignition -- 2 out of 3 shots were "bloopers". After trying several other sabots, the one working best (meaning going down easy enough to be do-able, but with adequate resistance) in my barrel was MMP's HPH-24. Of course, that's with a .452 diameter bullet. Less bullet diameter means you will need a thicker sabot.

So, no one can tell you what bullet/sabot combination will work best for your particular barrel unless their barrel happens to be of similar diameter to yours. BTW, when the bullet/sabot is too loose, someone suggested wrapping a slip of paper round the bullet to thicken it before inserting in the sabot. I worked for me, at least when using the very thin cigarette paper for those who roll their own. That way you can use up those too-thin sabots you tried but had to discard.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Banned

mine shoots the 245-295gr powerbelts great, along with the powerbelt platinums. My favorite though is the 247 and 250gr Thor conicals.
Read up!
http://thepowerbeltforum.powerguild....-thor-t603.htm

http://thepowerbeltforum.powerguild....-thor-t594.htm

http://thepowerbeltforum.powerguild....c-tip-t598.htm

The Accura is easily one of the best CVA Inlines they've had so far. Their new barrel swapper ( apex) is another great model they came out with.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

200 grain 10mm Hornady XTPs, blue MMP .50/.40 sabot

300 grain .452 Hornady XTPs in black Harvester crushed rib

And probably anything remotely close to those two combos. Try starting with 90 then work upward to 110 grains BH209 and see what yields best accuracy. Win209A, Fed 209A, or CCI 209M primers.

Lucky dog!

ps: if you want to scope it EABCO sells a Weaver style base that will provide maximum flexibility in positioning of rings/scope.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

My accura likes 90gr BH209 300gr xtp mag with crush rib sabot...shoots 1in or less...