HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   .54 moose/elk (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/308845-54-moose-elk.html)

Pioneer2 11-03-2009 07:14 AM

.54 moose/elk

Not happy.I am going into Northern Alberta next week for elk +moose and was going to take my .54 Renegade.But there's been so many closeup Grizzly sightings I don't want to get into a situation with a bear and a 16 year old kid along.I guess I'll end up with the 9.3x62 and 286gr Hornady's JIC...........the lying tree huggers[animal rights nuts] had our spring griz hunt closed misrepresenting the numbers.No shortage here except common sense.My buddy while elk calling had two griz at 22 paces in the dark and couldn't see the crosshairs!!!!!Harold

Gotbuck 11-03-2009 09:30 AM

Are you allowed to take griz during your hunt? I think I would still take the 54 but pack extra heat if you can. I'm not sure what Canada allows but can you let your son shoot the rifle and you the 54 and can you carry a sidearm pistol. Are you and your son hunting together or seperate from each other. If it were me I think I would hunt together and have that extra pair of eyes looking for griz. Either way it sounds like fun but because of the no spring griz hunt there are more griz out there. Be safe and let us know if you score.

cayugad 11-03-2009 09:59 AM

Have a great hunt, and keep safe. And be careful of them bears.

Pglasgow 11-03-2009 05:12 PM

Speaking of bears. Sunday as I was hunting I noticed a trail on the other side of the fence. As I examined the barbs on the fence I noticed tufts of black hair. It was fine and fuzzy and my first inclination was bear. I crossed the fence and sure enough there were bear tracks in the trail. They appeared fresh to me but I might have been mistaken about that.

gregrn43 11-03-2009 05:53 PM

Good luck with your hunt, remember keep a tall tree in sight lol.

Semisane 11-03-2009 06:05 PM

I heard the Grizzlies in Northern Alberta have petitioned the game department to require that all hunters use oregano flavored deodorant and soap. It's their favorite flavor.

Good luck on the hunt Pioneer.

IndyHunter83 11-04-2009 01:34 AM

You could take a back up or sidearm

Pioneer2 11-04-2009 07:21 AM

No in Canada we can't carry sidearms unless 5 years in the Pen appeals to you.I'll end up keeping the .54 handy for spot and stalk then the 9.3 for casual strolls.Up here you'de do less time for shooting a Warden than a grizzly.................it better have powder burns on the biting end or you're hooped...................Harold

Gotbuck 11-04-2009 09:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think Semi is referring to this:

Sorry I can't seem to get larger and imbed into post.

If you hit control and zoom with your wheeled mouse, it zooms the photo so you can read.