Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Ever lost a deer to coyotes?? >

Ever lost a deer to coyotes??

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ever lost a deer to coyotes??

Old 11-01-2009, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Considering that the average weight of a male coyote is about 35 lbs, you can certainly understand why I'd be skeptical of any claim of abnormally large coyote being somewhat common. Feral dogs, after several generations of crossbreeding, often begin to assume features of wolves all the breeds are derived from, so if there is a well established population of multi-generation feral dogs they might be confused with their wild cousins. There are distinct differences between dogs/wolves and coyote, but to be sure you'd have to have a necropsy done.

But until proven otherwise, I'll take your word for it that what you have was a true coyote.

Mike
Old 11-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

on a caribou hunt years ago the guides had to leave some in the bush overnight. they would tie dirty socks to the caribou. the wolves didnt like the human scent i guess.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's not the yotes here but the wild hogs.
I sot a small doe last season and just took out the shoulders,hams and backstraps.
When I went back the next morning the rest of the deer all but the head had been eaten to the bone.
It was less than 12 hours
Old 11-01-2009, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by driftrider
Considering that the average weight of a male coyote is about 35 lbs, you can certainly understand why I'd be skeptical of any claim of abnormally large coyote being somewhat common. Feral dogs, after several generations of crossbreeding, often begin to assume features of wolves all the breeds are derived from, so if there is a well established population of multi-generation feral dogs they might be confused with their wild cousins. There are distinct differences between dogs/wolves and coyote, but to be sure you'd have to have a necropsy done.

But until proven otherwise, I'll take your word for it that what you have was a true coyote.

Mike
I understand you being skeptable Mike, but there's no feral dogs around here. Some of these damn Coyotes are so big around here that I've passed on them thinking they were someones pet dog. I still have to make really sure there a coyote befor I shoot one, and most of the time they get away as Im still trying to be sure there a coyote and miss on my opporitunity for a shot. As soon as my wife gets home from work I'll have her take a pic of the one I got. It measures 65" from nose tip to tail tip. That's a 5'5" Coyote
(BP)
Old 11-01-2009, 03:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Around here if you waited til morning to look for a deer all you would find would be a half eaten deer.

Bow hunters lose many here, and elk too. Have tracked up a lot of wounded deer for folks: If the deer is not recovered the evening that it is shot, there is about a 75 percent chance that the coyotes will get it. Sometimes the hogs beat the coyotes to the carcass. i will sometimes set up on a deer carcass and zap some coyotes as they come in.

There are some abnormally large coyotes at our place in south central OK. Some easliy go 75 pounds. Some folks claim that those large coyotes have red wolf blood. Methinks they may be coydogs.

Last edited by falcon; 11-01-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Breechplug
Yes we should be able to hunt them buggers all year round here, with all the pets (small dogs, cats) being eaten by them, eventually they will give in and we'll be able to.
And I know mabey a 70+ Lb Coyote is hard for you to imagine, but there taken here all the time, and I also have taken one. I have the hide tanned fom the one I got and if some one wants to put the picture on here I'll e-mail it to you and you can for me.
Im 6'6" tall and me holding the tanned hide will show you just how big they get here. I'd post the pic myself but I still have to get with sabotloader so he can walk me through the steps.
(BP)
They might be full blood coyote but they might be cross breed coyote dog (Coydogs). It is fairly common for them to cross breed if the occasion exists. I had a cross breed Coyote,Husky that was one of the best dogs I ever owned. Extremely smart and taught me that Coyotes can scale a fence so high it would make you wonder. Mine could clear a six foot fence without touching it. She still could clear them when she was 12 years old but had to put her feet on it near the top to finish the jump. I doubt that she weighed more than 55 pounds though.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
Bow hunters lose many here, and elk too. Have tracked up a lot of wounded deer for folks: If the deer is not recovered the evening that it is shot, there is about a 75 percent chance that the coyotes will get it. Sometimes the hogs beat the coyotes to the carcass. i will sometimes set up on a deer carcass and zap some coyotes as they come in.
Thats a great idea.
I'll have to try that for Hogs
Old 11-01-2009, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

If some one wants to PM me and give me there e-mail address I'll send them a few pics I jus took of the Coyote in question, so they can post them for me on here. I took the pics with My Black Lab next to the Coyote hide, my lab weighs 90lbs, so this is a good comparison to show how big the get.
(BP)
Old 11-01-2009, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon

There are some abnormally large coyotes at our place in south central OK. Some easliy go 75 pounds. Some folks claim that those large coyotes have red wolf blood. Methinks they may be coydogs.
I wanted to do that once a couple years back at my aunt and uncles place. They have a lot of coyotes around there, and you can hear them howling most every evening. I took my ML to hunt deer, but I also brought my .22-250. The plan was that if I shot a deer with the ML, I'd then set up over the gut pile with the .22-250 and see if I could nail a coyote or two. But I didn't get a deer that year so that plan didn't work out.

Mike
Old 11-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Many years ago, I was bowhunting in the next county south of where I now sit. I was trying to do some stalk hunting (which I was pretty good at back then). I eased out of the woods to see three large yotes eating a deer which they had obviously just taken down.

They didn't see me at first, so I started directly toward them thinking to put an arrow in one of them. The had at first been about 50 yards away and I perhaps made 5 yards toward them before they spotted me. I figured they would bolt away at the sight of me as most every other coyote I had ever encountered would have done.

But NOOOOOO!... those big boys got side by side between me and their kill and started advancing toward ME! I shouted, no effect. They were snarling and growling as if I was going to be desert.

I turned a left the opening, back into the timber from which I came, while keeping an eye over my shoulder. They didn't follow, thankfully. That old recurve didn't seem like much of a weapon all of a sudden.

Never before and never since have I seen coyotes act so fearlessly and aggressively. Put the hair on the back of my head at attention!

Did you guys read of that young woman being attacked by two coyotes in Canada just recently. She died shortly afterward from her wounds. KILL THEM ALL!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.