Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Bore Butter and Cayugad's test from February >

Bore Butter and Cayugad's test from February

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bore Butter and Cayugad's test from February

Old 11-01-2009, 07:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bore Butter and Cayugad's test from February

There was a longer post here earlier with mixed comments about BB. I will first say that I agree, there are probably much better products for longer term gun storage. I will also say, that I have had success with BB in storing my TC Omega. Here are some quotes from cayugad, when he conducted a relatively controlled test of samples to protect from rust. I believe this was in Feb of this year.

cayugad, hope you do not mind that I posted this. I really liked your study by the way, that was fun to watch and read. Perhaps you can comment.

" I checked the new samples today, and they all show no sign of change. I am starting to believe that all of them are good products.. even bore butter.. to prevent rust"

" Well looking at the samples today, even the bore butter protected the steel barrel. All the other samples looked fine, including the Montana X-treme treated steel. And of course we are not going to store out guns in a place as humid as most shower stalls after a hot one... I mean the water had beaded up inside the lid over the samples it was so humid. I threw a humidity gauge in there and it went off the charts.

So I concluded this test. All I can say is clean all the fouling out of the rifle. And on a dry clean barrel, apply a good even coat of the product of your choice. All of them seemed to work fine when applied properly. You should be fine. Although like all rifles, I check mine from time to time and double check them."

P.S. I whacked a yearling doe opening day yesterday. TC Omega spot on with 2 50's and a 250 SW...after being stored with a lite coat of BB (removed before loading).
Old 11-01-2009, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never claimed that BB (Seasoned) My Barrel, and from preveious replays about BB I dont think anyone else has either. Th only thing I have claimed about BB is that it has (Protected) my barrel from rust, period. I have only used it as a protector against rust. A light coating after a cleaning, and a very light coating befor loading. It has always worked for me with no (build-up) as I never let it get to that point. I completely clean the barrel after a shot with hot water, then reload with a light coating.
(BP)
Old 11-01-2009, 08:58 AM
Dominant Buck

I used bore butter for many years. I admit, must have applied it wrong as I never had as good a luck as some with the barrel staying pristine. But others have used bore butter and with good results. If people use bore butter correctly, it might very well protect their rifle bore for ever. I just never was one of them and for that reason do not use it any more in my rifles.

Congratulations on the deer.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

thanks cayugad. The truth is that I am a casual enthusiast. I do not shoot very often. I'm not crazy about the feel of the "waxy" BB patches that I use, but it seems to work fine. If I shot a ton, I would probably opt for a good coat of rem oil after cleanings.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've used BB for years without any trouble. However, I am not saying it is the best. I use other stuff too. Montana X-treme Bore conditioner in my Knight. But in my flinters, only BB simply because I don't like the type of fouling I get when oil and burnt BP mix. You know, that tarry fouling.
My percussions lately I've been experimenting using only T-17. It says it cleans and protects. I am keeping a vigilant eye on my bores to be sure.