Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Help me i needhelp ohh my god i need help >

Help me i needhelp ohh my god i need help

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Help me i needhelp ohh my god i need help

Old 11-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wow 50 to 100 shots to break the gun in. Thanks dows the black horn come in pellets. I wanted to use pellets but with needing atleast 50 shots to break it in i might be alot better off and cheaper to go with the loose stuff.
Originally Posted by lemoyne
There have been quite a few of us using and talking about the combination of Shock Wave 250 gr and the Short Black Harvester sabot with which any good reloading primer will work, I have heard that there is a bad lot of TC primers out doing a lot of misfires so I would avoid them until the problem is resolved. While some people are still using 777 the best results with this load are being produced by Blackhorn 209 most of the time.
Also realize that most TC guns require a break in of 50 to a 100 shots before they produce there best groups. If you are in a hurry for results at long range about 50 strokes with JB bore paste on a good tight patch replacing the bore paste about every 5 strokes will polish your bore.
Also 110-115 or 120 gr of Black horn depending on your particular gun and elevation will match up with your Omega BDC. Lee
Old 11-02-2009, 03:37 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
Wow 50 to 100 shots to break the gun in. Thanks dows the black horn come in pellets. I wanted to use pellets but with needing atleast 50 shots to break it in i might be alot better off and cheaper to go with the loose stuff.
to my knowledge black horn does NOT come in pellets.. Black Mag does have some pellets..

Just a thought.. - why not shoot T7 out of it for the break-in shots? $30 for 16oz is way cheaper than $40 (or $25 on sale) for 10oz BH209.

Brian
Old 11-02-2009, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been using W-209 but i just picked up 100 of the CCI M's to try out.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Many TC guns have very rough bores. Use red jewlers rouge on cleaning patches to smooth the bore out. This makes the gun much easier to load and it may improve accuracy.

TC primers cost more than twice as much as plain old shotgun primers.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0054317216545a.shtml

Last edited by falcon; 11-02-2009 at 05:05 AM.