Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
TC 209 Primers not lighting the charge >

TC 209 Primers not lighting the charge

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC 209 Primers not lighting the charge

Old 10-31-2009, 02:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default TC 209 Primers not lighting the charge

I've been using Thompson Center brand 209 primers in my Omega. I've shot probably 50 rounds and had 4 missfires. Each time I've put in another primer and the load fired. Today I had 2 of 8 missfire. I believe I have the breach plug clean. Any thoughts on this? I can't hunt with a 25% chance of a missfire.

I shoot loose T7 and have switched to Remington STS and they seem to have better results. Anything wrong with this new primer and T7? They seem have similar POI.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Josmund

Gosh I have never seen a TC-209 primer... but I am surprised any 209 will not set T7 off...
Old 10-31-2009, 04:21 PM
Dominant Buck

I have no experience with an Omega or Thompson Center primers, but in this case I would call Thompson Center Arms and see what they suggest. I can only guess, but some things I would check..

If it does the same thing consistently no matter which primer is used, I would suspect something wrong with the force of the hammer. I am guessing but the breech plug on these close actions must have a certain tolerance just to lock up. Is the rifle closing up good and tight?
Old 10-31-2009, 04:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Josmund

OK, Cayugad is looking in another direction and he may well be right - when you said mis-fire I assumed that you meant the primers were igniting but they did not start the main charge....

If it is not firing the primer you will need to take the drop block apart and clean the primer assembly....

Old 10-31-2009, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't tell from your post if the primer went off or not. If the primer didn't go, then the above advice is good.

However, if the primer went off, but not the powder, then did you clean out the rear primer pocket of your breech plug with a 1/8 inch drill? This pocket gets crudded up with carbon build up and blocks the channel. You have to turn a 1/8 inch drill (by hand or with a pair of pliers) and clean out the channel in front of where the primer sits. This channel goes further forward than you might think. Even though you can see through the breech plug, it still may be too crudded up unless you use the drill.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default They're Igniting

Thanks or the reply's.

FYI..

They are official TC 209 Primers. The guy at Cabela's sold them to me when I bought my gun.

They do fire but don't light the charge. I'm pretty sure my BP is OK. I have to think they just don't have the kick.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Josmund

Thanks for clearing that up... but thinking about a TC-209 primer - it would be easy for me to believe TC is contracting a cool 209 primer to start BP-Pyro-T7, not thinking about BH.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Josmund
Thanks or the reply's.

FYI..

They are official TC 209 Primers. The guy at Cabela's sold them to me when I bought my gun.

They do fire but don't light the charge. I'm pretty sure my BP is OK. I have to think they just don't have the kick.

You didn't say if you had cleaned out the rear pocket in front of the primer pocket of the breechplug with a drill bit. Even #11 primers will light 777, so since they are firing , that is strange. If you have not drilled it out, you need to.

I would also worry about the powder. Could it have been left open and absorbed moisture from the air?