Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Will this expand on deer? >

Will this expand on deer?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Will this expand on deer?

Old 10-27-2009, 09:07 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by spaniel
The SW/SST are the same bullet, the FTX is different though they may look similar.
What is the SW in SW/SST?

I just bought a 450 Bushmaster AR15 upper that shoots the 250 gr .452 FTX (#45201) and am thinking about getting into reloading. I emailed Hornady and asked how it compares to the SST-ML (#45202) bullet - they said it was the same bullet..

Brian
Old 10-27-2009, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

SW = Shockwave

Really, Hornaday said they were the same? Well unless whoever answered the phone doesn't know their own product than I am wrong. My understanding was that it was a slightly harder construction to handle the Bushmaster velocities.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Spike

SW = Shockwave

Really, Hornaday said they were the same? Well unless whoever answered the phone doesn't know their own product than I am wrong. My understanding was that it was a slightly harder construction to handle the Bushmaster velocities.
that is what they said and I even used their product numbers when I emailed them.. Ill look and see if I can find the email, but Im pretty sure I deleted it already.

I would think that the 450B velocities should require a bonded/harder construction.

brian
Old 10-27-2009, 12:15 PM
Spike

The SW/SST are the same bullet, the FTX is different though they may look similar.
OK.. I found what I was looking for..

If you look for just the bullet for the 450B (#45201)- Hornady calls it the FTX (which is also the Leverevolution it appears)

BUT if look at loaded ammo they refer to it as a fTX but the writeup calls it the SST-ML bullet From their website "The 450 Bushmaster fires Hornady’s 0.452” 250 gr. SST-ML featuring Hornady’s Flex Tip™ technology."

here is the Hornady 450B ammo link

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_ses...89b06b7e5c87d5

Places like ables and midway sell the same bullet (45201 FTX and 45202 SST) under both numbers and at different prices..

have a great day

b