Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Scored on a nice NC buck >

Scored on a nice NC buck

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Scored on a nice NC buck

Old 10-27-2009, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's a pretty buck Bigtimer. I like those light colored horns. Congrats!
Old 10-27-2009, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeee shotttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
Old 10-27-2009, 06:23 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats from one NC hunter to another! Nice buck, what county do you hunt?
Old 10-27-2009, 06:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bigtimer

Congrats!!! That is really a nice looking animal... Was your son with you when you bagged this?
Old 10-27-2009, 09:12 AM
Typical Buck

Nice buck anywhere, good shooting.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:18 AM
Typical Buck

Thats a nice buck. CONGRATS!! Nice picture as well. I second the request for the story behind that kill.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Bigtimer

Congrats!!! That is really a nice looking animal... Was your son with you when you bagged this?
Unfortunately he was at the doctor but the wife brought him to the camp as soon as he got out. That little rascal to a big doe opening day with his CVA Wolf followed by a buck that same afternoon. We were both shooting BH 209 with a 260 grain Nosler .451 Jacketed HP bullet and an MMP 24 sabot. I have hunted for a buck like this for over 35 years. Here's the story behind the buck as it was posted on another site:

I was hunting with Uncle Ellis on Friday and after he sat in our box stand that morning with no luck, we decided to go to the field where Tyler (my 13 year old son)and I have been seeing 3 bucks. The wind was perfect so we decided to check the scrapes around the edge of the field and found that they had been tended to not that long ago. I was going to sit in my ground blind and Uncle Ellis was going to sit in my ladder stand watching the cut over that the deer would have to come into before making it to me in the 1 acre soy bean field. I showed Ellis where he would be sitting and on the way back to the truck, we stopped at my ground blind so that I could show it to Ellis. When we left the truck earlier, I took my rifle with me but Ellis said that he didn't want to tote his so he left in the truck. We were sitting in the ground blind, just showing Ellis how comfortable it was. As I glanced across the beans, something caught my eye. I had no idea what it was but I knew that I saw something move. The thought of it being a deer never entered my mind as we had just walked within 50-60 yards of what it was that I was seeing when we were checking out the scrapes. After glassing the area again where I had seen the movement, I realized that was looking at the tips of his rack. Yep, that buck laid right there in the beans as we walked right by him moments before. It wasn't but a few seconds that I realized where Tyler got his buck fever affliction from . It seemed like it took forever for the buck to stand up but when he did, he had one thing on his mind and one thing only and that was getting out of that field as soon as he possibly could. He stood and kinda turned at the same time and I tried to hit him right behind the shoulder but hit him a little farther back than I had hoped. As I reloaded, Uncle Ellis started laughing at me because I was shaking so badly. When I was about to place the 2nd bullet in the barrel, he pointed to my boots and showed me where I had poured the powder charge down the side of the barrel instead of in it and the powder was piled up on the top of my boot . I sat back down and got it together as Uncle Ellis went for his gun. If he was not hit well, I knew a place that he would have to cross before he hit the big woods but I doubted very seriously if I could make the 150 yards walk in the cut over. Well, when I got to the spot where I knew that he would cross the old logging road, I looked up and saw his horns as he stepped into the opening. I let him have it again but when the smoke cleared, he was gone. I could hear him crashing in the thick brush. Uncle Ellis arrived a few minutes later with my truck and I got in and just chilled out for a while on the heating pad and enjoyed a couple of bottles of water. There was plenty of blood in the old road where I had hit him the second time so we eased our way through the thicket,following the blood trail. At one point I seriously thought that we had not waited long enough because I thought that I had heard get up. As I made my way to where I heard the crash there was a pool of blood on the ground!!! I just knew that he couldn't be far. I turned my head to tell Ellis that I had found the blood and when I did, I heard a load groan just about at my feet. He was in a ball about 3 feet to my right, looking at me. Although he wasn't going anywhere, I put another one into him. I was just in awe at the size of him. Uncle Ellis knew what this deer meant to me and helped me get down to the ground so that I could admire him and rest my back. As I looked at him, the first thing that came to my mind was my father. With that, I looked up into the heavens and said "I got him Dad, ain't he a nice one?" As I grabbed his rack I remember murmuring something like "I always wondered what you would look like". Of course I hugged Uncle Ellis and thanked him for "taking over" when Dad died. It was an extremely emotional moment for the both of us but I really wish that Tyler had been there. TYLER , I looked at my watch and realized that Tina should be on the way to the doctor's office with Tyler for his check up. He was so excited when I told him and begged Tina to bring him to the club when his appointment was over and of course she agreed. We had us a time that night celebrating. I really do want to thank Mike (sabotloader) for helping me find just the right load and the confidence neded to get the job done. Thank you my friend.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jbar174
Congrats from one NC hunter to another! Nice buck, what county do you hunt?
I got him in Jones County but hunt in Craven, Washington and Pamlico Counties.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Give us a break Bigtimer - a paragraph break.

Great story! Just a little difficult to read on my screen without losing my place.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:10 AM
Spike

Now there's a memory!!!VERY NICE!!!
Way to make it happen!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.