Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Nikon omega bdc recticle >

Nikon omega bdc recticle

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Nikon omega bdc recticle

Old 10-26-2009, 05:27 PM
Spike

Default Nikon omega bdc recticle

What is everyone using for a sabot, bullett, powder combination with this scope and what results are you having. I have an Omega 50 cal with the Nikon Omega scope on it. The gun really likes the 250 xtp wrapped in a MMP short black sabot over 110 grains of BH 209 at 100 yards. I have not tried the scope any further than that as of now. I would like to take full advantage of the recticle in the future. Not probably in any hunting situations as I seldom have oppurtunities in excess of 100 yards. I have been told the XTP may not be ideal for long range shots? Thanks Joe
Old 10-27-2009, 02:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Give me a week i will let you know. Buy the camo bdc scope and a triumph first thing friday. Should have it and get to the range by wensday i hope. My plan is to start with the recommend load from TC the 250 shockwave and 100 or 150 grains of pellets. TC recommends the 150 for long distances but everyone is shooting 100 or so atleast from what i have read.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is'nt this scope designed to be used with a 28" Barrel, a 250gr Bullet and 150 gr's of Pyrodex. From what I read this is the load you have to use to have the BDC work properly. Anyother load bullet combination used you will then have to (Guess) as to where to hold on the BDC.
That's why I went with the Leupold Ultimate Slam ML Scope. With this one it has (3) different settings, one for a Shotgun, one for 2-pellets and one for 3-pellets, you get more options with the Leupold and there about the same in cost.
Excuse me if Im wrong about the Nikon, but I think that's what it says about it. Also I was'nt to thrilled to find out that when using the Leupold's BDC you have to have your scope set at 9power all the time when using the BDC.
Let me know how you make out with the Nikon, best of luck to you!
BP
Old 10-27-2009, 02:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, you have to use 150gr to get the reticle close...and that's not accurate enough to be shooting long range in most guns! Use less powder and the bullet drops more, and the marks are off.

In addition, your barrel matters too so it still may not match up anyways.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

What I did with my Leupold since I did'nt like that you had to use either 2 or 3 pellets for the BDC settings, and since I switched to powder, I sighted in as with a normal scope. Using 110grs of Pyrodox and a 240gr XTP, I sighted in using the top part of the circle for the center reticle, then holding on the center cross, I shot and saw where I'd hit using that mark, then using the bottom part of the center circle shot again for this mark and so on for the rest of the marks on the BDC.
I know this is'nt how the scope was designed to be used, but with my load I had to do this if I wanted to use the BDC. At least the marks on the BDC still give me points to hold for specific yardages without guessing on where to hold.
Doing it my way it still is a better option than just a regular fixed reticle scope as I still have hold marks for where to aim for my load. If I knew what I do now about the scope I may have not bought one and just stayed with a regular scope. But now the scope is growing on me, and doing what I did to sight it in I now have a scope where I know Im gonna hit at specific yardages without guessing where to hold on the animal.
Yes the 150gr charge needed for the Nikon is too much and you sacrafice accuracy. Also the Leupolds 2 or 3 pellet settings may be to low or too high for your (custom) load as in my case. For most ML shooters go with a good fixed reticle scope and you'll be much happier with the results, unless you do what I did.
(BP)
Old 10-27-2009, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a Nikon Omega BDC on my Encore Pro Hunter. My load of choice is a 250 gr Shockwave SuperGlide, 100 gr Pyrodex, MMP Sub Base, and Winchester Supreme 777 primer. It's an awesome shootin' rig for IL whitetails!
Old 10-27-2009, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

NO it doesnt matter what barrel length or powder you use.The Nikon and Leupold are made excatly the same. Leupold went a step further and labeled different power settings as settings for other loads through a little testing. Yes its true you the bdc was setup on 9X power using a 250g bullet and 150g powder. It will work like a charm on other bullets and powder loads, just like the directions say,but you will have to shoot it, and you will have to ADJUST the POWER setting on the scope for different ranges. I had both mounted on the triumph and both worked well with 90gr BH209 and a 250g barnes TEZ with a HSB sabot. I took the Leupold back, because there is way to much going on looking down range with all those marks in there. ( my opinion) If you do excatly like the directions say for either scope when shooting a load other than a 250g and 150g powder it will work well.

Nikon Omega- see page 7 of
http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/sportopt...250Booklet.pdf
Leupold Ultimate slam-see page 40,41 of
https://www2.leupold.com/resources/d...an_02Jun08.pdf

You can do it like it says in the directions above if you want each specific range in the center of the cirlce or on a certain line, by adjusting the power settings for different ranges, or you can do what i did and just pick one power setting whatever your comfortable with and Leave it. I chose not to keep changing the power setting and just pick one power setting and leave it. First i sighted in my crosshair dead on at a 100yds. I then set targets up at 150, 175, and 200yds. I personally will never probably get a shot past 150 but just did it for the hell of it, you can put them out as far as you want. Make sure your targets are least 2ft tall, probably 3ft if you go past 200 yds. I put a black dot at the top of each target. You then use you 100yd crosshair and shoot at the black dot, i shot 3 times each, you can shoot as many as you want. I circled the shots and made a nice dot in the center of the 3 shots. I then held the 100 yard crosshair STEADY back on the dot at the top of the target and looked down and seen where on the scope line the dot was from the bullet holes and wrote it down. I didnt care if it was in the middle of the circle,top or bottom. I knew that would be price to pay for not having to keep adjusting the power setting. I keep doing this all the way out to 200 yds.
So for me, i know that when im on 7 power on my Omega Scope shooting my 90gBH209 and a 250g tez, HSB, my crosshair is dead on at 100yds, 150yd is the top of the second circle, 175 is dead between 2-3 circle, and 200 is dead on in the center of the third cirlce, i have a little cheat sheet taped on the stock. I just have to remember to be back on 7 power for the bdc to work, and ANY POWER for a 100yds or less....... Im not using anything past the third cirlce.....

Last edited by revpilot; 10-27-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

I talked with TC and nikon in lenth about this a year ago. The bdc is not a quick fix sight in at 100 and shoot 250. They say and recommend you shoot all ranges at lenth before setting out for a 250 yard shot on a deer. The nikon uses a circle for a reason. If you shoot 100 you can aim at the bottom of the circle. or if your gun is differnt and shoots alittle low you can aim at the bottom. I guess they set it up so you could aim alittle high low or right in the middle. to me it is better then just guessing and hanging 8 inchs high or what ever. My plan is a sight in the day after i get it and step out to 150 200 and 250 the next day. I will let you guys know how it goes.
Also nikon told me they had a guy call B**tching that he was missing deer at 200 yards. I guess he had not shot pass 100 yards. It is like bow hunting you do not sight in at 20 yards and just set your pin 4 or 6 inchs high for 30 yards then 8 inchs high for 40 yards. You must shoot your yardage you plan to hunt.
Luckly i have a nice 130 yard range and i can just step back off the road to go farther
Old 10-28-2009, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

NO its definitely not a quick process or a band-aid fix for everyone to shoot deer at 250yds. But put a little shooting time in and learn how the wind affects your load and get it dialed in and its a great setup. Ill probably never use it past 100 yds, but i have fun shooting clay pigeons with a muzzleloader out to 200yds.

Its sad that it marketed to where everyone thinks they can just put it on and kill deer out to 250yds. Of the 8-10 guys i know that have them, even shooting the 150gr and 250gr bullet it wasnt right on as advertised........
Old 10-28-2009, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another good option is the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 scope. Under the caps are weatherproof marked turrets similar to but smaller than tactical-style target turrets.

Rather than having to figure out all the drops and appropriate lines/power settings, you simply determine (by shooting) how far your bullet drops every 50 yards. Convert this to MOA and dial the exact range into the scope. The you can aim dead-on at whatever range the deer is at.

I tape my drop chart (with wind drift too) to the left side of my stock. I laser the deer, glance at the chart to see how many MOA drop I have at that range, and dial it into the scope. It takes seconds to do and eliminates the chance of confusion by having the scope on the wrong power or choosing the wrong line when in buck fever mode.

Here is my setup as described except that I do use a regular tactical scope:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.