HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Old but new to me mk-85 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/307891-old-but-new-me-mk-85-a.html)

flounder33 10-25-2009 02:57 PM

Old but new to me mk-85

This morning it quit raining so I took out the mk-85 I bought last week to see how it would shoot. The gun looks really good for its age (built in late 80's). The serial # is 28XX. I don't think it was ever shot much. The only thing I can say bad about it is the previous owner must not have cleaned the reciever real well as there was some residue there and there was a little pitting after I got it cleaned up good. The barrel and the laminated stock seemed excellent inside and out.
This gun shot as good or better than any black powder gun I have been around. I was using 90 grains of 2f 777 and the 250 grain XTPs. The bore of this gun is definitely tighter than my other mk-85. I was using the MMP short black sabots and I wouldn't have wanted them any tighter.
The other thing that was new to me is the peep sight that came with the rifle. I hadn't shot with one before and for my old eyes I think it is a big improvement over regular open sights.
My son shot with me and of course his group was better than mine. We were right at 50 yards and he put three shots right in the bulls eye so under a 1 inch group.
I have talked a little with Busta about this gun as he also has an early mk-85. I think the barrel is a Gumby barrel. It only has six lands and grooves instead of the eight in the green mountain barrels.
I sure am happy with this old gun.
Art

Semisane 10-25-2009 06:49 PM

Good show Flounder. Peeps are about the only iron sights I can shoot reasonably well these days.

I was helping a buddy sight in his MK85 this weekend at our hunting club. The guy who manages the lease was watching us and eventually says "I have one of those Knight rifles that I won in a raffle years ago. It's still in the plastic package." Of course I said "dammit Freddy, that's a sin. You ought to give me that gun - or at least put a price on it". He didn't bite - yet.

HEAD0001 10-25-2009 08:53 PM

Mk-85

The MK-85 is undoubtedly one of the finest inlines ever made. Even with today's standards it is one tough rifle to beat. And it was truly the Cadillac(Rols Royce) in the 80's and 90's.

The rifle definitely has the finest trigger that has ever been put in any MZ. And it is still better than any trigger I can think of in any of today's MZ's.

The rifle will shoot(accurately) any projectile you load in it. They just flat out shoot. Conical, round ball or saboted bullet.

The only problem I had with them was that you could get some blowback into the trigger mechanism. I would recommend you clean the trigger. Doing this is very simple. There is one bolt that holds the trigger mech. to the barreled action. Just remove that bolt. Take a spray brake cleaner and spray the heck out of every nook and cranny you can find in the trigger housing. After you do that then let it sit for a minute or two. Then take a can of air or an air hose and blow out the trigger mechanism. I did this a couple of times a year. This is all the maintenance the trigger needs.

I have owned a few of these over the years. And many friends own them also. The only advantage some of the newer MZ's have is that they are slightly easier to clean. You may save one or two minutes. But that is about it. However I have not seen any of the newer MZ's that will outshoot the original MK-85. I really do believe that.

Also you have different options for ignition systems.

I have a peep sight on my MK-85. And I shoot a 525 grain conical that I cast. I push it with 120 grains of 3F Black Powder. This load is a real hand full. It is my elk load. And in the light MK-85 it really has a kick. But that is OK. My MK-85 would be one of the last rifles to go if I had to sell my guns. Tom.

flounder33 10-26-2009 05:30 AM

I'm glad you brought up the trigger. The triggers on my mk-85s are the best.
I know these guns are old technology but they seem to fit me well and I have a feeling they will do the job on any deer I point them at.
I have not been shooting muzzleloaders near as long as most of you on here. I started a few years ago. While everyone else seems to crave the latest and greatest new guns, I seem to go the other way towards the old classics. One thing with them I don't have to worry about a shortage of plastic discs.
Here are a couple pictures of this gun copied off the site I bought it on.
Art

A

Reese260 10-26-2009 06:25 AM

Nice rifle there Flounder! I met Toby Bridges a few times in the early to mid 1990's when he was working for Knight Rifles. He was showing off the Knight Hawk MK-85 at a hunting convention. I really liked the rifle but it carried close to $800 price tag at that time. Way out of my price range. Last year I started to look around and found a used one in pretty good shape. It is a real shooter and a joy to carry around. I placed a peep site on it and use it on rainy days. Shot my first deer with it opening day of early muzzleloader this year. This is the only picture I have of it on photobucket.

flounder33 10-26-2009 11:25 AM

Reese, Could you tell me where you got that peep sight? I am wishing mine came up a little higher.
Thanks, Art

BOWHUNTERCOP 10-26-2009 12:07 PM

I had a BK-92 same as the MK-85 just a plain spin off, it shot great, great trigger as well, but a pain in the a** to clean

HEAD0001 10-26-2009 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by flounder33 (Post 3484413)
I know these guns are old technology

I would be interested to know what you mean when you say this. I do not mean to ask this to start any argument. I am just interested what makes shooters think that an MK-85 is "old technology"??

Personally I believe they are as well made and designed as any MZ available on the market today. This is just an opinion of mine. However I believe they are about as simple as it gets for takedown.

This is just to create a discussion about what hunters think about MZ's.

Personally I am a real fan of the encore's. I have three frames and a bunch of barrels. I have tried 3 different MZ barrels without any real satisfaction. So I went back to my MK-85 and I bought a new Knight LRH. I can not see where the Encore or Omega has any real advantage over the MK-85 other than being able to save one or possibly two minutes in cleaning time. And personally I believe the Knight's to shoot better than the TC's. Just an opinion. Tom.

Reese260 10-26-2009 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by flounder33 (Post 3484776)
Reese, Could you tell me where you got that peep sight? I am wishing mine came up a little higher.
Thanks, Art

Art, actually that is the wrong peep sight for the MK-85. I think that was the one I borrowed from my Remington 7600. If I remember correctly, it was held in by one screw when I was doing that testing. I now have the one that you are using. We are using the same load except I use Harvester sabots and I still have room to adjust up or down. You may want to look in to a different height front bead.

flounder33 10-26-2009 01:45 PM

HEAD0001
I have heard that design referred to as old technology. I don't mean it in any derogatory sense at all. Maybe old design would be a better description. I think I feel the same way about these guns as you do.
Art