Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Off Topic - Hunting Knives >

Off Topic - Hunting Knives

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Off Topic - Hunting Knives

Old 10-22-2009, 03:22 PM
Dominant Buck

I have a buck folding knife that stays real sharp because I normally forget it. I personally like a short blade when I field dress a deer. Then I gut the deer with my little Swiss Army Knife. I have gutted deer with arrow heads, cheap little pocket knives, etc. Now a good knife is a wonderful thing. They hold a good edge and are easy to sharpen. But I am not paying big money for something I can do with a $8.99 pocket knife.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:20 PM
Fork Horn

Check out Grohman Knives. They have a website. I have 2 of them, the first one I bought 40 years ago in carbon steel, the second ie stainless. I built it from a kit at the 2001 Canadian Boy Scout Jamboree. Great knives. Sharpen to a razor edge and stay sharp through the job.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
I was kind of eyeing the Schrade Sharpfinger, but I didn't know if it was any good or not. I can get it locally for $18.
The are now made in China, look on the blade...If it says Made In USA, buy it...

That's why I mentioned Bear, they have one that looks just like a Sharp Finger, made in Alabama and it holds a good edge...
Old 10-22-2009, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

I have a couple of Western's, they were made by Coleman. Hold an edge, sharpen well, excellent quality. Also have a Schrade folder, lockblade pocketknife. Gutted a bunch w/it. Also have my grandfather's Case folder, still shaving sharp!! Scary sharp too!
Old 10-22-2009, 06:14 PM
Spike

Buck Omni Hunter
Gerber something
Kershaw Vapor
Spyderco something
Old 10-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Banned

walmart sells a great knife by Winchester. It has a gut hook on it too and rosewood handles. Very good quality knife for $15
Old 10-22-2009, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by heinz57
do you hunt ?????????????????
I've been out once or twice combo that with a gerber folding bone saw and boom. Good to go.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do you know what the name of the Bear is? I looked on their website and didn't see one that resembles the Sharpfinger, but I may have just missed it.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

http://www.bearandsoncutlery.com/ind...roducts_detail

Here is the one I got...It was $24.95 at ACE Hardware...
Old 10-23-2009, 06:14 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Krypt Keeper
Buck Zipper Knife. Has the gut hook on it.
I bought the same knife a few years back. I liked it so much, I bought one for my brother for Christmas. The gut hook is a nice feature.

However, I've used everything from The Buck Zipper, to a Leatherman, and to a $5 pocket knife to dress deer. You really do not need too much to dress deer sized animals -- just keep the blade sharp.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.