Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC Hawken loads

Old 10-20-2009, 03:02 AM
Spike

Default TC Hawken loads

I can't seem to find anything more accurate than the ole trusty black powder - round ball combo. However, I had a round ball not penetrate a deer's shoulder and am looking for a load with more penetrating power. I've tried maxi balls, maxi hunters, and powerbelts. I have a Kight Sabot and some XTP's to try yet. Any other suggestions? Thanks
Old 10-20-2009, 03:33 AM
Spike

Couple of questions. Range to deer? Caliber of gun? Powder charge?
I use a .50 Hawken with a 405 gr. powerbelt in front of 70 gr. 2F Goex or Pyrodex RS. Never had problem one. Of course, putting one into the shoulder with a pure lead ball is asking an awful lot of the projectile. Personally, I avoid that shot like the black plague. But, where you decide to aim, is your business, not mine.
Sorry I can't be more help.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:02 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Yankee Doodle
Couple of questions. Range to deer? Caliber of gun? Powder charge?
I use a .50 Hawken with a 405 gr. powerbelt in front of 70 gr. 2F Goex or Pyrodex RS. Never had problem one. Of course, putting one into the shoulder with a pure lead ball is asking an awful lot of the projectile. Personally, I avoid that shot like the black plague. But, where you decide to aim, is your business, not mine.
Sorry I can't be more help.
50 yds, .50 caliber, 90 grains American Pioneer.

Thought it was obvious that I wasn't trying to put the projectile into the shoulder, but guess I need to clarify. Was aiming for a lung shot, hit the back of the shoulder, no penetration and a very long chase. Not sure that anyone will avoid a broadside 50 yd shot like the black plague.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:41 AM
Spike

You're absolutely correct. I would have taken the shot also. However, just because of the possibility of putting one into the shoulder, I opt for a heavier bullet. Thousands of deer have fallen to a round ball load, but keeping the limitatations of the round ball in mind, many have had the same experience as you. I don't fault you in any way, but that is exactly the reason I gave up on .50 caliber round balls for hunting. I do use them in my .58.
Reading your post leaves one thing unclear to me. Did you ever recover the critter?
Again, please be assured that I did not mean to run you down in any way. These things happen. It happened to me, which is why I no longer use round ball loads for deer.
Please accept my apology if I insulted you in any way.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:55 AM
Spike

No apology necessary, just didn't want anyone to think I was taking a bad shot. I have taken quite a few deer with well placed round balls, but just don't want to replay this shoulder hit experience.

We did recover the deer. Luckily there were enough guys out that day to surround the area, and 3 hours later the deer was put down. It was harder than it sounds though, b/c she stopped bleeding after about 100 yds and had no problem keeping up with the other 2 doe she was with. Picking the injured deer out of the crowd was a problem if her good shoulder was facing you. Just glad we didn't leave an injured deer in the woods.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot deer with the 50 cal maxiballs. They are lethal with a charge of 90-100 grains. They will smash a shoulder no problem. But if they won't shoot well for you that a moot point.

I shoot FPBs now, but in a 1:28 twist barrel. I don't know if anyone here has tried them in a 1:48, but they may be worth a try. They are similar to a PowerBelt, but with a pronounced hollow base rather than a plastic piece. I've shot 3 deer with them, all passthroughs.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Using a 54 cal PRB and 110 gr of powder it should not be a problem to shoot through at least one shoulder. I don't aim there but have hit a few there when running.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Something wrong with this picture! This had to be a fluke. You should had taken that deer with that shot. The only thing in that formula that could have gone wrong would be the powder. I have heard of too many problems with this powder.

Round balls have been killing deer for many years in the old days. This is a good example of why you should be using the real deal, black powder!!!
Old 10-20-2009, 05:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree...From 1977 to 1990 my deer rifle was a .45 caliber flintlock...I shot a .440 ball and 75grs of Goex FFF...It would shoot through both shoulder blades and the spine and drop them with a high shoulder shot...

I'd bet the powder was bad...
Old 10-20-2009, 06:23 AM
Dominant Buck

What caliber muzzle loader are your shooting? And what kind of load are you shooting? A round ball not penetrating a shoulder is, well something I never heard of. With my round ball load, I've busted both shoulders with a round ball and had it exit out the other side.

Now I am not doubting your claim by any means. I've seen round balls do some really strange things. I had one that I shot behind the shoulder, hit a rib, and turned and went up, breaking the spine of the deer. So maybe the angle or something was wrong in your case.

If your round ball load is powerful enough and your accurate, I would be a little more selective instead of my shot placement. If that means not shooting them straight into the shoulder, let them turn a little and slip it behind the shoulder. And I see by your response, that you were not trying a straight on shoulder shot.

If you want more penetration power, try a 460 grain Bull Shop conical, 370 grain maxiball, REAL conical or a Great Plains Conical. With 70-90 grains of powder there is nothing that thing should not bring down. I shoot them in my Renegades with good accuracy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.