HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Cant wait for deer season!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/307336-cant-wait-deer-season.html)

Sharp Shooter 10-19-2009 06:40 PM

Cant wait for deer season!!!

I cant wait for deer season!! I was out scouting for spots this weekend. The tag I have is for late rifle so season wont open till December 1st. Hopefully I get a shot at a nice Mulie Buck!

I need to get shooting and figure my load out. I might use the 54cal since its gettin hard to find stuff for the 58cal. I have some 515gr Yogi conicals for the 54cal and some 385gr maxi-balls. I dont think I will shoot ball but I might. I need to be prepared to shoot 100yds in the wind and I dont think a ball is the best choice for that. But I have plenty of balls for my 58cal and 54cal so I might try it. I do have a few boxes of 525gr Hornady GP conicals for the 58cal and some 405gr Buffalo Ball-etts. So we will see.

Looks like I have alot of shooting to do!!! Any suggestions or reccomendations? Anyone know how a ball will do at 100yds in the wind? I like ball better because I dont get lead in my bore but conicals sure have a lot more energy!

Let me know what you all have for ideas.

Kirk

cayugad 10-19-2009 07:54 PM

When I know I have to shoot in wind conditions, I usually go for as big a ball as I can find. I suggest you find a windy day and practice out to 100 yards. I think you will be surprised how little a good .58 ball will drift.

Semisane 10-19-2009 08:05 PM

If you're shooting a .54 ball at around 1800 fps, a 20 mph cross wind is going to give you about 2" drift at 100 yards. Not much to worry about. Just choose your shots carefully.

MountainDevil54 10-19-2009 08:30 PM

im not a believer in this energy crap. A huge ball that size is going to bore a huge hole into a muley. Out to 150-175 yards!

Screwbolts 10-20-2009 02:34 AM

Back in 99 I harvested an antelope in WY with my .58 underhammer and a RB. The shot was 155 yards, 7 witnesses to the shot. At the time I had a Lyman #17 aperture front sight using the very fine post and ball. I still use a modified Redfeild Peep on the receiver. My load Cronoed @ 1750 FPS The way I was sighted I held 4" over his shoulder and took his pulmenary pumper out of business. The fellow that owned the land Shouted " You Hit him, I saw the Sxxt come right out the other side", he was referring to the blood spray.

Long live the RB,

Ken

Sharp Shooter 10-21-2009 06:48 PM

I think im going to post 8 targets out at 40yds to start with. I will try 4 different loads out of the 54cal and 4 different out of the 58cal and go from there eliminating the loads with the worst groups. I know my 54cal shoots both a .530 ball and 100gr real accurate and a 425gr Great Plains conical real accurate. I need to play more with the 58cal ball loads. Who knows. Some time at the range will tell me what I will shoot.