Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Using lead bullets with lube >

Using lead bullets with lube

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Using lead bullets with lube

Old 10-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default Using lead bullets with lube

I just bought 200 325 grain .458 bullets for my 45/70. They re lubed. I was wondering how they would work in a CR sabot. Anyone have any experence with this. got some 425s as well but figured they were a bit heavy for a sabot Cant hardly afford to buy the jacketed bullets these days
Old 10-07-2009, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

No experience here, but I'd imagine you'd want to get the lube off and find the right sabot for the actual bullet size and your bore. I know that some on this board do shoot 45/70 bullets with sabots in their 50 cal guns with good results.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've shot .458 bullets from my Mustang - 300 grain Remingtons SJHPs and 420 grain cast Lees. The best I get with either one is around three inch groups at 100 yards, but most groups have been closer to four inches. It's certainly worth a try. Your gun may really like them.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

I really don't see any problem with leaving the lube on them. The bullet will be encased in the sabot anyway. But make sure you have the right sabots. There are sabots for .451" bullets and sabots for .458" bullets.
I've shot lubed .430" lead bullets with CR sabots of proper size. Accuracy wasn't all that great but was just OK.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm just thinking the lube on the bullet may interfere with the spin being imparted to the bullet. Maybe try both ways and see if there's any difference.