Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cleaning

Old 10-05-2009, 11:49 AM
Spike

Default Cleaning

Hello all , kinda new here ,bought a new Tc after i shot it the first time a few weeks ago i cleaned it like they showed in the dvd with all tc products. when i got done i ran i patch with tc bore butter plus lube. got my gun out sunday ran my dry patch to clean the barrel and it came out orange, i was sick to my stomach, cleaned best i could and shot everything was fine. cleaned when i got home made sure the barrel was dry after cleaning, ran like ten extra patches after i knew it was dry ran the bore butter again. checked today and it looked like there might be some rust just starting to form again.WTF this gun is not stored in a basement. what do you think i may be doing wrong , i'm really nervous to leave it through bow season. checking it everyday. swabbed out the bore butter today and ran a oiled patch. any help would be much appreciated.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lose the bore butter. Get it all out of there with a solvent like brake cleaner, carburetor cleaner or boiling water, dry the bore really well and swab with a lightly oiled patch. Any decent gun oil will do, or even 3-in-1 oil. You'll never have that problem again. Wipe the oil out with an alcohol patch or a dry patch or two before loading.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stick with gun oil. Many people just haven't had any luck with bore butter. I use rem oil, and I'm not afraid to put a hefty dose on as I always clean the bore before shooting again anyways.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Dominant Buck

What the others have said is dead on. I used bore butter for years, and always had problems with my bore. I boiled it out, went to oil and never looked back.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Banned

bore butter is a good patch lube & conical lube but sucks for storage. I like rem oil. I run a damp patch down the bore, give it a few minutes to dry then use 1 dry patch to mop up the excess oil. Lately though ive stopped oiling the barrels period! Dry air in Colorado so i get no rust issues.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Spike

Ditto"s on the post's above.........do not give your ml a bath,,,,,only thing the bore butter is really good for is lubing conical bullets up.Remember before you load that ml up next time take some dry patches an run those down your barrel to get most if not all the oil out.Good luck with that ml.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Spike

Thanks for the imput all. Can't wait to put my scope on a whitetail.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Fork Horn

Bryan---ditto on what the guys have already said. I had the same problem when I used bore butter. I just clean my barrel as normal for storage. Then I clean again before a shot when I take her out. My method of cleaning is one WET patch ran down, flipped over and ran down again...then 1 DRY patch ran down, flipped over and ran down again. Seems to work well for me. Bore butter is CRAP!!!!---DrASUS
Old 10-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Typical Buck

For the record, there's details missing in the OP. What powder and TC cleaning products were used?
What method does the TC DVD show to use to clean the gun?
Bore Butter itself does not cause rust. Leaving the bore dirty or using water or products containing water and then not fully drying the bore before applying Bore Butter can cause rust to form. Humidity can also cause rust and many people simply do not apply enough Bore Butter.
There are plenty of protective products to use and Bore Butter does work just fine for many who would rather not use a runny liquid oil that doesn't stay where it's applied. In a 3 week period it's hard for me to just blame it all on the Bore Butter without more details.

Last edited by arcticap; 10-05-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

i was a former bore butter addict. used it for years on my muzzleloaders inside and out. it was o.k. in general but didnt protect very well around the nipple on the barrel. i had nasty almost burn like stains in the metal. several years back i had a barrel sent into thompson center because a nipple snapped off ( threads coated with bore butter) and they re-finished the barrel back to new. since then i have always used gun oil like sheath or shooters choice fp-10 and synthetic grease on the nipple threads. the barrel still looks brand new. my own conclusion is that bore butter doesnt not compete with a modern gun oil. just because the oil doenst slap on and stick like greasey bore butter doesnt mean its not doing anything. some oils penetrate the pores of the metal and protect very well. i also love the natural lanolin based stuff called- fluid film. that stuff goes on kinda thick and has long term protecting qualities.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.