Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Cleaning Question for BP >

Cleaning Question for BP

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cleaning Question for BP

Old 10-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default Cleaning Question for BP

I've only shot 777 with Powerbelts out of my Traditions PA Pellet Flintlock but I just got some 2F Goex BP, .490 Hornady RB and pre-lubed patches (lubed with wonderlube). My question is: what should should I clean with in between shots?

I was spit cleaning in between shots with the 777 and PB. Thanks.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use spit, rubbing alcohol, MAP, water, whatever I happen to have at the time...Goex is easy to clean, especially with a flintlock...For final cleanup, I plug the touchhole with a round toothpick, pour in 4-6 oz of rubbing alcohol, cover the barrel with my thumb and turn it up and down a few times then pour out most of the residue...Dry with a few patches, lube with WD-40, dry and then use a good gun oil and I'm done...
Old 10-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Dominant Buck

As said, while Goex might foul more then other powders, it is one easy powder to clean. I personally would swab with pure alcohol. Make it a damp patch, and then two dry patches.

At home, soap and water will clean Goex up real easy.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

MAP of 20% Murphy's Oil Soap, 40% Isopropyl alcohol, 40% hydrogen peroxide. Works good as a swabbing and cleaning solution.

For final cleaning - nchawkeye's method is good although you might just swab with the MAP and then patch dry and lube.

Get it out, get the metal dry, and then protect the metal - doesn't much matter how you get there.