Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Apex

Old 10-04-2009, 06:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Excellant report and good shooting. If CVA keeps improving I might have to own one some day. Lee
Old 10-04-2009, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lee, that day is now.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

My best group from this afternoon

Batchief's right, I need to try some more sized Trashcans.

Last edited by Underclocked; 10-04-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have played around trying to get a Leupold Vari-X II 3x9 mounted on the Apex but, once again, that scope didn't have enough windage adjustment. It's been that way on every muzzleloader I've ever tried it on and I'm about to think the optical center is off from the mechanical center of the scope. Works on a 6mm Remington I have so I finally put it back on that gun.

Anyway, remounted the Sightron in the rings and made slight changes in positioning when I did so. Made a quick trip out to my buddy's range yesterday to check the scope adjustment. Fired 4 shots total at the target, the first was directly left of these three and I guesstimated the needed clicks right with success.

Believe I might have pulled that top bullet just a little but still not a terrible group.

My friend had hung 4 whiskey bottles at 178 yards distance, the lower two of which were side by side. They looked like "fifth" size bottles to me (he likes his whiskey ). I told him I was going to shoot the one on the lower left. Used the top of the lower, thicker post of the plex reticle and held just a bit right from where the neck of the bottle starts upward from the body.

Shattered the lower right bottle - the compensation that I thought I needed because of the above group was incorrect. So I again went for the lower left bottle, this time using the same aim without the compensation. Smacked it.

Both bullet holes were in line horizontally about 2" apart. I got lucky in estimating the drop to correspond to the top of that post, but now I know exactly where/how to aim at ~180 yards.

Dave was impressed.

Last edited by Underclocked; 10-11-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Underclocked
My best group from this afternoon

Batchief's right, I need to try some more sized Trashcans.
I JUST LOVE THEM XTP's !!!
Old 10-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Fork Horn

Looked at a Apex at Cabela's yesterday , VERY NICE gun and ''Almost'' too tempting , But i don't buy anything without cold cash anymore . It was the Best feeling gun i ever put to my shoulder and the workmanship looked 100% . VERY NICE and i think CVA has a winner for sure !!

Last edited by UtahRob; 10-11-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

Nice shooting. The Cabelas points are not multiplying fast enough so i can get it free.........Leupolds are the only scope ive ever had run out of adjustment on a gun. I have a rifleman 3x9x40 and its maxed out on a ML and the slug gun.......
Old 12-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Fork Horn

UC - Great Reports!
From the looks of that target with the crosswind indication, those groups might have all been MUCH tighter under calm conditions. All the stringing was horizontal.

Thanks
Old 12-10-2009, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Excellent report UC
can you check the welds for cracks?
That is a good looking rifle

I don't need another Muzzleloader

I WANT another Muzzleloader

Old 12-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I found one crack then realized I was scratching my ...

No, I haven't checked but I'll try to remember to do so tomorrow. Certainly don't expect to find anything. Remind me if I forget, okay?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.