Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
2nd time at the range with Knight LRH >

2nd time at the range with Knight LRH

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

2nd time at the range with Knight LRH

Old 09-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Spike

Default 2nd time at the range with Knight LRH

I went to the range for the second time with my Knight LRH.

Last time was the first time I shot the gun. This time I grapped other bullets and sabots and changed my grain amount and how I measured it.

Since I'm going hunting in Iowa with this ML I put a target at 100 yards and 200 yards. Oh course I like to have fun I put one at 300 yards to "play" I would not shoot 300 yards at a deer. Its just nice to know how you can push a gun and I wanted to see what the bullet frop would be.

Last time I shot 300gr harverster scorpion pt golds and measured 110 grains of BH209.

This time I switched to Barnes TMZ 250 GR Balistic Tips. I still used BH209 HOWEVER changed to 130 grains and this time I weighed it with a scale prior to going to the range. Roughly the scale I think was 92.3 grains (+/- 1 grain on the scales part)

I know for a fact when I did a scale test from a load I had last time it was more like 85 grains I was shooting.

This time with barnes bullets it was TIGHT pushed them down the barrel and had more of a seal/kick then the pt golds with a less of a charge.

the 100 yard target

1- After the first shot I did make a scope adjustment since I did change the bullets and amount of powder I used today- so toss out #1.

4- After somewhat happy #4 I tossed a 300 gr harvester pt gold bullet w/MMP BLACK HPH12 SABOT.

2,3,5,6- Are all 130 gr bh209 by weight, 250 gr tmz balistic tip barnes bullets with there sabots.

side notes- when I used the 300gr bullet the gun kicked ALOT more. When I ejected the bolt and to get the primer and primer hold out before marking the target for max cooling I noticed the primer "cap" was blown off. What does that mean? Some are perfect looking and the red cap are not burnt hardly at all. While this one was blown apart I guess you could say and the red cap was burnt. Most just look burnt.

200 yard target

1st shot- I was happy as hell.
2nd shot- Confused...confused...confused....
3rd shot- better but it should have been right with shot #1.

During this time I never cleaned the breech plug or barrel at all.

Does anyone have advice? All my shots seem to be perfect for the being center on the target, however for the height on 200 yards I was a bit off. I let the barrel cool 5+ mins every time and I was at the range at 8:30 am when they opened the gate and the temp never got above 49'f the whole time I was there. What about the primer?
Old 09-19-2009, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Normally vertical stringing(which you have) is a sign that you have not found the right powder charge. Horizontal with vertical dispersion normally shows a plain inaccurate rifle---you do not have that.

IMO the LRH is a fine tuned piece of equipment. And I think you went about your shooting in the wrong manner. Personally I clean my barrel between every shot. I would recommend you do the same. Personally I could care less where the second shot from a dirty barrel impacts. I do not hunt with dirty barrels, so why should I care where a dirty barrel shot goes?? Shooting for fun is a different game. But you do not shoot $1 a shot bullets for fun, that is for serious work.

Try a 120 grain load, and clean the barrel. I would bet some money that group will tighten up considerably. My LRH shoots tigher at 250 yards than yours is shooting at 100 yards. I have shot a lot of Knight rifles, and I promise you yours will shoot considerably better also.

Last but not least in order to achieve better accuracy you need to stabilize your pressure. Buy a range rod and a drill stop the size of the range rod. Seat your bullet then slide the drill stop down the range rod until it contacts the muzzle, then tighten the drill stop. This will ensure exact seating depth for every shot. Tom.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

One other thing. What type of primer are you using?? If you are using the hot shotgun 209 primer then back off to one of the MZ 209's. I use the Remington's. Tom.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:19 AM
Spike

head0001- drill rod or range stop? whats that and what one do you recommend?

primer I use is a cci 209m its a magnum primer.

also head0001 can you explain in great detail your one shot then clean deal? you leave oil in the barrel or what? thanks.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by earnhard3
head0001- drill rod or range stop? whats that and what one do you recommend?

primer I use is a cci 209m its a magnum primer.

also head0001 can you explain in great detail your one shot then clean deal? you leave oil in the barrel or what? thanks.
A drill stop looks like a thick washer with a set screw in the middle of it. the hole in the middle needs to be the diameter of your range rod. slide the drill stop down the rod and tighten it on the rod when the bullet is fully seated. Machinists and wood workers use them to control the depth of the drill bit when they drill a hole.

I do not like the hot CCI 209's. I would buy a primer that is made for the BP rifles. They are not as hot.

I only oil my barrel if it is going to sit in the safe for an extended period of time. I never oil my barrel while shooting. I just put a little solvent on a patch and run it through the bore with a jag. Then I run 3 to 5 clean patches through the barrel. Then I reload and shoot again. And I always make sure there is no oil in the barrel when I am shooting. I will patch it all out before loading.

The LRH is a precision piece of shooting equipment. If you treat it as such then you will be pleasantly suprised. IMO it is not a fun rifle that you go out and shot a bunch for fun. When ever I shoot mine it is serious business. If I want to shoot for fun I take out the FL. Tom.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:06 PM
Spike

I was under impressions you needed a hot cci 209m primer to shoot bh209

can u post apicture of your rod set-up. I know what a drill stop is..just cant picture if for a ml. did you buy online from a place I can get the same set-up?
Old 09-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

The primers made specifically for muzzleloaders are not suppose to be reliable for bh209. I would stick with the hot primer. Have Fun!
Art