Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Savage Trigger

Old 09-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Savage Trigger

Is it possible to replace the cheesy accutrigger with a "real" trigger?

I would like to try a Savage smokeless muzzleloader, but I refuse to use one with that trigger.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

No problem at all. Many people do it, but i like the accu-trigger myself. Timney triggers makes one for sure. I think
Old 09-13-2009, 03:53 AM
Spike

I've never used an AccuTrigger, but have heard it's good. What don't you like about it? (looking to learn, not flame)
Old 09-13-2009, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Of course you can replace the trigger. Rifle Basix and Timney both make aftermarket triggers for the Accu-Trigger Savages. So does the gunsmith at sharpshooterssupply.com.

My question is, have you really tried the Accu-trigger, beyond just dry firing it a few times at the store? I found that I liked the Accu-Trigger more as I used it. I have two Accu-Trigger equipped hunting rifles, a 10ML-II and a Model 111GCNS 30-06, both with the trigger adjusted to the minimum pull weight which feels to be about 1.5-2 lbs, and I wouldn't change either of them. The aftermarket hunting weight triggers just aren't that much better to justify the cost, IMO.

Mike
Old 09-13-2009, 05:42 AM
mountaineer magic

I don't have an accu-trigger on any of my guns but my wife has a Savage with the accu-trigger. I think it's a great trigger design. I would be switching to an accu-trigger if i could instead of trying to switch from it. Why do you think it's cheesy? have you shot one very much?

Old 09-13-2009, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, I will look into the Timney and Rifle Basix triggers. I have already looked at the Sharpshooter Supply triggers, and they are a little pricey. But, depending on what Timney and RB have, I may end up with one.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have one Savage, a Model 40 .22 Hornet with the Accutrigger. I think it may be the best trigger I've ever used. Cheesy it is not. I'd love to have them on my other guns.