Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Do different brands of primers make a difference? >

Do different brands of primers make a difference?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Do different brands of primers make a difference?

Old 09-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do different brands of primers make a difference?

I sighted my Remington Genesis in using Federal Fusion 209 Primers. Do I need to keep using these or if I use Winchester 209 primers will it still shoot in the same spot? I ask because not only are the Winchesters half the price I have a extra pack of them so wouldn't have to buy more.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

As long as your not using BH209 you should be fine. Federal and CCIM is really all you need for any powder you choose.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:23 PM
Dominant Buck

It should not matter, or be very close. The time I get worried about primers is when I have different powders. Some powders have special needs. They you have to change primers.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:11 PM
Spike

I tried white hots last week end using win 209 shotshell primers and then switched to t7 primers and my groups tighted up considerably.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:43 AM
Fork Horn

I seen quite a difference in primmers when switching from reg. Pyro. to the Select. I was using the Fed. 209A with the Reg. Pyro with great results. Then switched to the Select. Using the same charge, the group was gone + I had a lot of powder coming out 10" to 15" smolding on the ground. After switching to the Win. W209 my group was coming back but still I wasn't satisfied. After reducing the load to meet my previous crony speeds, I was in. Who would have thought?
Old 09-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your point of impact when changing primers shouldn't move a whole lot, though I've found that it can make some difference. I have noticed differences in accuracy/group sizes with different primers, though. I know some people don't notice a difference, but I do with my rifle- I get noticeably better accuracy with Triple Seven primers than with either Remington Kleebores or Federal 209's, and less crud ring (with T7 powder).

The only way to know for sure with your rifle is to get out to the range and try them out. But if you don't have time to do it, you should be okay switching primers and still be "minute of deer", as long as you're not shooting at extreme distances.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:00 PM
Fork Horn

A s you can see in this test ( below ) primers do vary in power . 209 primers also vary in the power or flame but also the size . I longer primer will give you a better seal and put more flame into the powder than a shorter one with the same power . In my traditions Pursuit pro Win primer were so tight i had to slam my gun closed twice on each primer to form fit them , I had a great seal with them and had no blow by . Thats what i really like about the .25 acp conversion , you form fit each brass to your gun . Primers vary a lot . If you feel you need a hotter primer and its shorter you may not gain anything because of the bad seal you get . IMO You can see in this test that primers vary from one brand to the next in power /flame even in the same size .

http://www.6mmbr.com/PrimerPix.html

Last edited by UtahRob; 09-16-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:46 AM
Fork Horn

Not seen much difference between Win 209s and the T7 primers. The T7s don't really work well in an Encore. Often will not let you **** the hammer... The T7 primers seem to cause a worsing of the crud ring in my rifle...
Old 09-18-2009, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

funny the word **** as in ****ing the hammer gets PCized...

Last edited by rdpettit; 09-18-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

rdpetitte

I found just the opposite. In both of my ML's, when I use Triple 7 powder and Win 209 primers I get a hard crud ring...but only a very slight CR when I use the Triple 7 primers. I wish I didn't get the crud ring with the Win 209 primers because I have over 1500 of them. I'm not into paying $7.00 plus for Triple 7 primers. kl

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.