Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Take it easy boys! UPDATED >

Take it easy boys! UPDATED

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Take it easy boys! UPDATED

Old 09-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Banned

Default Take it easy boys!

My brother and I finished the ATV engine rebuild early this morning. Shes running like a champ and not smoking anymore!! The oil rings were so worn down that they could no longer pop out! Compression rings werent as bad but when we compared them to the new rings, they were shot!

Trucks are all packed up, camp is set up, now all we have to do is head back up to camp with the ATV's.

Hopefully the Thor's hammer will drop in the next few days

Be back in 8 or 9 days. Maybe sooner if the animals are there.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 09-20-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

Good luck, take alot of pics........
Old 09-11-2009, 04:48 PM
Dominant Buck

good luck on your hunt
Old 09-11-2009, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Best of luck to y'all. Blood that Accura!
Old 09-11-2009, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good Luck
Old 09-13-2009, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

waaaaahoooooooo
Old 09-16-2009, 02:07 PM
Typical Buck

Knock 'em dead! And have fun.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Banned

Well, we're back! Weather rained on us like nuts! Out of 4 tags, i was the only one to fill my doe tag.

My dad and brother on the 3rd day ran into a 24-26" wide muley on the 3rd day ( i was up in unit 36 - they were in 84!! 7 hour drive for me between hunting units) My dad didnt have the range finder as i was using it for the few days up north. He figured that big muley was around 100-125ish yards and shot for the heart. A day and a half later i hit it with the range finder and it turned out to be 170 yards. Under shot!

After that the only deer we saw were doe and my dad had a buck tag. He went home empty.

My brother and i hit elk heaven until we found out where they were. We wernt able to get to the main heard due to the stuff they were in. On the 7th day of the hunt, my brother and i did get in on a bull. We got within 60 yards and i captured it on video ( Im not sure if we can see the bull in the video yet) We just got home aroumd 9:30pm. This computer screen looks weird!

My brother went home empty.

On the same day we got in on the bull, we all went down to camp for some lunch and a nap. Late evening we did some road hunting and figured on sitting on a hill. As i was backing up the ATV i slammed on the breaks, looked through my Bino and there on the hill that my brother and dad were sitting on was the most beautiful chocolate brown bear i have ever seen! Then to shock me even more, out came another one!! I put the sneek on and when i figured i was safe, i leaned out from behind a tree and shot the bear with the range finder. SOB whats going on? Im holding the button! Holding and holding and holding. After 20 second i get a reading of 159 yards. Perfect! Pull the hammer back on the Accura and lean out around the tree and i see the ass end of the second bear wobbling over the other side of the mountain. I was sick to my stomach over that range finder screwing me over like that. It took to long to get the reading and it blew my shot at taking my first bear. It was still an amazing experience and i will always remember that big chocolate bear.

I'll post some pics of my doe probably tomorrow. I used a 362gr Custom Tip Powerbelt in the CVA Mountain Stalker. I wanted to use this rifle strictly for my powerbelt test with the custom tips. Now do these tips work or not??? You'll have to wait and see.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:24 PM
Banned

Okay lets get the the only kill of the year.

125 yards laser ranged. CVA Mountain Stalker, 362gr Custom Tipped Powerbelt with 100gr Pyrodex RS. I had been walking through a small field with a mix of pine trees and kicked up 3 doe. I tracked them for a while and thought i lost them and was taking a short cut back to the trail i had been walking. I saw one doe flash through some pines and i stopped and whistled and this one stopped in an area where i only had roughly a 2 foot x 2 foot shooting hole.

Blood was everywhere, a 2' wide blood trail and i can put my hand on a bible and say thats the truth and not get zapped! After roughly 30 yards i came on to the kill. She had gone down in the thick timber crud but it wasnt bad to drag her through. It wasnt a big doe, maybe 90lbs at the most but thats pretty comon size of doe that we take.

Internal damage was just insane! I lost no meat on this deer.

Entrance shot,

Exit,

Add a thumb to show the size of the exit hole,

Entrance - Perfect! No bullet expansion upon impact.

Exit,

Lungs were toast,

It seems the Custom Tip for the Powerbelt is showing some very good promise!
Old 09-20-2009, 08:48 PM
Banned

Some pictures from the hunt,

Button buck waaaay up high!

Not quite sure what he was hinting at,

These trees reminded me of those Halloween cartoons where the trees come alive lol.

Late this evening on the drive home. Spanish Peaks at sunset with snow clouds nearing. We're supposed to get our first snow storm tomorrow.

Picture perfect! He was right near Gardner Butte, Colorado.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.