Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Heat and Humidity affect shooting ??? Bad day with Triumph >

Heat and Humidity affect shooting ??? Bad day with Triumph

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Heat and Humidity affect shooting ??? Bad day with Triumph

Old 09-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't shoot a rifle like yours, but I do shoot a lot of rifles. When it is really hot out, I still shoot. BUT I take into consideration the heat.

Were the first couple shots accurate? Then as the barrel heated up the accuracy went out the window? To combat this, on hot days, I alcohol swab the bore, dry patch it, and set it in the shade. I then shoot a different rifle. What I call a fun rifle. Normally at not paper targets. When the other rifle has had sufficient time to cool, it is swabbed and ready to load again. I find I can increase the accuracy of my groups that way.

The heat can be a factor. Its how you play in the heat that can make all the difference. That's why when fall comes and the temperatures drop, I am a happy camper. In winter, its nice to heat a barrel. You can warm up your fingers that way..

Although, if you were spraying a target, check your scope bases, mounts, even the scope can fail sometimes. If you have a second scope, throw that on and see what happens. Also some new rifles just need to break in. JB Bore Paste scrub that bore if you suspect a ruff bore. It seems to help. I know a gun smith that always gives a new rifle a mild lapp job. While lapping is fine for a gun that just will not behave, I personally like to shoot them first and see if it is really needed.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

Took the Omega scope off and returned to Cabelas thinking maybe it was the scope. I put a Leupold Ultimate slam on there. Had it installed, i cked all the screws bases, everything tight. Went to shoot again today. Same thing, it wouldNOT hold a 3 shot pattern at all. I waited 8-10 minutes between shots. I let 2 other people shoot it, who i consider good shots, and same thing, shot it out of a vise, same thing. We tried 90,95,100,110,and 120g loads of Bh209. We used 250g shockwaves, ssts, barnes tez, ftx.........same. I tried swabbing after each 3 shot group and it would shoot the same, about a 10" group at 100yds. Im lost, i shipped it back to TC today and see what they say. It only took about 10 shots with the endeavor and it would shoot all day inside 3" at 100yds. I did notice the crown seems to be alot different on the bone collector compared to the regular Triumph. Im guessing it has to be the crown, QLA or something with the barrel..............it sucks dropping 500 bucks on a no shooter. I can shoot my slingshot better at a 100yds.......
Old 09-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by revpilot
Took the Omega scope off and returned to Cabelas thinking maybe it was the scope. I put a Leupold Ultimate slam on there. Had it installed, i cked all the screws bases, everything tight. Went to shoot again today. Same thing, it wouldNOT hold a 3 shot pattern at all. I waited 8-10 minutes between shots. I let 2 other people shoot it, who i consider good shots, and same thing, shot it out of a vise, same thing. We tried 90,95,100,110,and 120g loads of Bh209. We used 250g shockwaves, ssts, barnes tez, ftx.........same. I tried swabbing after each 3 shot group and it would shoot the same, about a 10" group at 100yds. Im lost, i shipped it back to TC today and see what they say. It only took about 10 shots with the endeavor and it would shoot all day inside 3" at 100yds. I did notice the crown seems to be alot different on the bone collector compared to the regular Triumph. Im guessing it has to be the crown, QLA or something with the barrel..............it sucks dropping 500 bucks on a no shooter. I can shoot my slingshot better at a 100yds.......
10" at 100 yds??? Yeah, I'd return it too.