Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
What should I do inbetween shots when sighting in? >

What should I do inbetween shots when sighting in?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What should I do inbetween shots when sighting in?

Old 09-04-2009, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What should I do inbetween shots when sighting in?

So I need to sight my Remington Genesis in. I want to sight the open sights in first then maybe the scope. I had the open sights sighted in with 150 grains of powder but I'm switching to 100 grains. I have see thru rings on it so I want to have both sighted in.

Any tips on what to do in between shots to keep it accurate? Also which way do I move the open sites to adjust them? I had a heck of a time with that before. So like if it's shooting low which way would I adjust them. Would I bring the rear site up more or down more?
Old 09-04-2009, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Between shots, run a wet patch down the barrel and wait until the barrel cools (3-5min in warm weather) before reloading.

As for the rear sight, move it the same direction you want the impact to move.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Banned

yep if you need to adjust up, You go UP. If you need to adjust to the right, You go RIGHT.

I like to completely swab my bore clean and run some dry patches, give the barrel 4 to 5 minutes to cool down and then load up and shoot again. Once its on sight, i then swab every 2 shots. But i do give the barrel time to cool down after each shot.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by spaniel
Between shots, run a wet patch down the barrel and wait until the barrel cools (3-5min in warm weather) before reloading.

As for the rear sight, move it the same direction you want the impact to move.
Wet patch with what though? Would my regular copper cleaning solution I have for rifles work or should I try something else?
Old 09-04-2009, 05:53 PM
Banned

Windex. Alcohol, Water, Windshield washer fluid.

Windex/Washer fluid is my favorite.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Typical Buck

If you're using Black, 777, Pyro, APP, Shockeys or anything but Blackhorn 209 you can just use a spit patch (lick both sides of the patch), or others use Windex or an alcohol solution. I just use spit - don't need a container to carry it.
If you are using Blackhorn 209 I believe you have to use a standard gun solvent like Hoppes when you patch and/or clean.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Remove those see through mounts and throw away...Sooner or later they will fail you...Buy a good scope and a good set of mounts...
Old 09-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
Remove those see through mounts and throw away...Sooner or later they will fail you...Buy a good scope and a good set of mounts...
Yeah I thought I'd try them out as I know a few guys that like them while others hate them. I'd never tried to before so decided this was the gun to try them on.

I can't say I really am impressed with them however, they don't bother me enough that I really want to replace them right now. I may down the road but more importantly I'm just not sure I'd buy another set. Not quite as good as I expected them to be but also to me not as bad as some make them sound.

Is rubbing alcohol okay to use to swap the bore with?
Old 09-05-2009, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unless you're using BH209, a spit patch is fine.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
+1.... Get that scope down on the barrel!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.