Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Need your help on CVA? >

Need your help on CVA?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need your help on CVA?

Old 05-15-2003, 10:33 AM

Default Need your help on CVA?

I am looking to buy A CVA muzzleloader, and having little experience with any muzzloaders need suggestions. I am wondereing about CVA if they are good rifles and should I go with a 45 or 50 cal for deer. Would either one be more accurate? And also CVA has a staghorn 209 magnum, a eclipse 209 magnum, and a firebolt 209 ultramagnum rifle. I am purchasing out of Cabellas with the kit and scope. The staghorn and eclipse are about 179 for kit and scope and the firebolt is 309 with kit and scope but comes in mossy oak breakup. Please help me choose, and would there be much of a difference between the three? Thanks alot
Old 05-15-2003, 11:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Need your help on CVA?

As a beginner to the sport - either of those CVAs would serve you well. There isn' t a whole lot of difference between the 3 rifles - mainly barrel length and a few " extras" . Personally, if I was starting from the beginning (knowing what I' ve learned over the last 3 yrs of BP shooting) I' d probably opt for the StagHorn.

That said, if I was looking for a new gun right now to replace my " old" Knight, I' d look real hard at CVAs new Optima or the T/C Omega. They' re not that much more expensive than the Firebolt, but offer some very neat features for keeping the ignition dry and for the primer loading.

Another thing for you to consider is the legality of deer hunting with such an in-line there in PA. I know they have some gun restrictions there, so you want to make darn sure you can legally hunt with what you buy.

If you go the in-line route.....I definitely suggest going with the .50cal rather than the .45. There are many more bullet options in .50 than for the .45......and IMHO most all of the .45cal bullets on the market are too small (light) for the best accuracy results. The manufacturers have been tweaking on their barrel twist rates for the .45s ever since they came out - and I' m not convinced they have it right yet.

Get yourself a .50cal rifle, some 300gr sabot bullets (like Hornady XTP Mags), and load 80gr of the new Triple 7 powder - and you' ll be darn close to " ON" right out of the box!
Old 05-15-2003, 11:52 AM

Mark Whiz you are awesome. Thank you for your input.
Old 05-15-2003, 01:32 PM

I have a T/C Hawken that is fun to shoot and also have a CVA Firebolt. I have the 209 ignition and I really like the ease of cleaning and the accuracy I get. Both are 50 cal. Here in SD you cannot use a scope during the special muzzleloader season so you still have to get close to be accurate with the open sights.
Old 05-15-2003, 02:08 PM
Fork Horn

I am currently shooting 2 of the CVA inlines, both are HunterBolt w/209 ignition. They are very nice to shoot and clean. I would not recommend the CVA kit from Cabelas, if memory serves me correctly that is provided with a Pine Ridge scope. One of the 2 CVA' s I mentioned USED to have the Pine Ridge 2-7 on it but it fell apart. Shame on me for not heeding the words I read on this very board about the Pine Ridge scopes. Buy the gun, mounts, and scope seperately, its a very simple project. I went to the Simmons 1.5-5 X 32 Pro Diamond shotgun scope......Like it alot.
Old 05-15-2003, 03:30 PM

Matthews:
Bass-pro,has the CVA magbolt 150 in 45 cal. with every thing you need to hunt except powder for $199.98,thats rifle,power-belt bullets,caps,capper,short starter,pick,cleaning sloution,and patches,a 3x9 redhead scope.

GREAT DEAL:::[:-][:-]

I have one and my wife has one of these and we have taken 4 deer in the last two years with them.the 45 cal. is fine for whitetail deer.I would go 50 cal. if you are going for elk.

they are MAG guns,up to 150 grains of powder,I use 100 grain.with the 225 grain power-belt bullets.

just a though!
Old 05-15-2003, 03:58 PM

Hey Rod Smith you are right they do come with a pine ridge 2x7 scope. Thanks for your input I will not get the kit, I will take your advise. Hey Tree Climber thanks also for the valuable input. Guys like Rod Smith and Tree Climber make this hunting net well worth it. Thanks a million, Semper Fi!
Old 05-19-2003, 11:01 AM

Well I 0rdered the Firebolt ultra mag CVA from Cabellas with starter kit, but not the scope. All I need to do is figure out what powder and what grain, and bullet selection. It should arrive here on Thursday.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:03 AM

Mattews - I don' t hunt in PA, and I don' t know if you are planning on hunting there, but (and I might be way off on this) I thought PA required Flintlocks, and had some real tight restrictions on bullets, like bullet length can' t be more than 1 1/2 time the diameter, and no sabots. ' Course if you not going to be hunting in PA this post is meaningless

Old 05-21-2003, 11:17 AM

Hey RKenSprak you are right about the muzzleloading laws in PA, but I am stationed in CA at Camp Pendleton in the USMC. I can use it here in CA, but when I go back home (PA) next year it will just be another gun to my collection, I doubt that PA opens any inline muzzleloading seasons. There is some new season though that comes in during archery season for a few days, I am not sure if it is for inlines or not. Do you know of any good loads I might start out with?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.