HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Getting started with a Knight Extreme (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/301420-getting-started-knight-extreme.html)

Skopia 08-23-2009 04:44 AM

Getting started with a Knight Extreme

I received my Knight Extreme about a month ago. Time to start the tuning process. While I wait patiently for an improved Breech plug from Grouse and company, I have the FPJ and the NFPJ plug. I want to shoot B209 with this gun but for now I will shoot T777. Which plug should I start with? I have not fired a round out of this gun yet.

Grouse45 08-23-2009 05:14 AM

I would use the fpj plug. The other is a real pain in the ass. To much blow back sticks the primers in the holder. I hope Lehigh really improves that. The new plug will also not be using red plastic jackets.

sabotloader 08-23-2009 06:51 AM

Skopia

I have the FPJ and the NFPJ plug. I want to shoot B209 with this gun but for now I will shoot T777. Which plug should I start with? I have not fired a round out of this gun yet.
I shoot T7 because of price but i have shot some BH-209 from both of my Extremes and one Elite. I use the the FPJ breech plug for both T7 and BH. I can not remember ever having any problems shooting BH with the FPJ. The Knight is not the cleanest shooting in the world but it is certainly not the worst. I also should say for myself i really like using the FPJ's they are easier to handle and to get loaded no capper needed.

When you get going I am sure you will enjoy you new Extreme.

Skopia 08-23-2009 08:57 AM

Thanks guys. I will say too, I am going to have to modify the stock a little too. At 14.5" pull, it is too long for me. I feel comfortable at 14" with light clothing on and if I'm bundled up in the winter, just under 14" is even better. I have a friend that teaches shop at the local High School, said he would cut it for me. I love my Omega's for hunting and they shoot B209 very well. Really looking forward to setting up the Extreme. It is my first Knight.

klundin2000 08-23-2009 11:24 AM

May I ask what the new breech plug is??? I must be out of the loop. Thanks.

earnhard3 08-23-2009 11:41 AM

the new breech plug will have a larger flash hole for the new black powder called black horn 209.

Skopia 08-23-2009 03:30 PM

There is a new Breech Plug being developed for Knight Disc rifles that will give consistent ignition with B209 and also supposed to have much less blow back with the Knight rifles.

schlitz540 08-23-2009 05:26 PM

i just bought a new Knight Long Range Hunter. Is this plug available through KNight, or another manufacturer? I haven't fired the rifle yet. i did see a post in a forum where the individual had a problem with BH209 in a LRH. I use BH209, and love it in my Omega.

wolverine72 08-23-2009 07:07 PM

Skopia:

Just shot my new .50 cal Disc Extreme today. I used the FPJ plug and Triple 7. I like the FPJ setup on the Disc. I experienced virtually no blowback with that setup.

Not sure what load you're going to use, but I used this one based on the the great advice found on this forum.

Two 777 pellets, Winchester 209 primer, 300 gr. .44 cal Hornady HP/XTP bullets, and Crushed Rib Green Harvester sabots. Boy are those sabots easy to load... Absolute tack driver of a round -- MOA all afternoon at 100 yards, cleaning between every shot.

Have fun -- you'll love this gun.