Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Good load for Austin&Halleck? >

Good load for Austin&Halleck?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Good load for Austin&Halleck?

Old 08-22-2009, 10:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default Good load for Austin&Halleck?

My wife bought me a beautifull A&H .50 inline for my birthday but so far the most accurate load I've found is a 325gr maxi-ball over 150 gr. pyrodex. With a weaver K4 mounted I'm only getting 1 1/2"-2" groups @ 90yds. I have a TC Hawken .45 with Lyman 57 rear and lyman globe front sights that will put 3 powerbelts in a ragged hole @ that range. Compared to that, the A&H is not acceptable for me. I've tried just about everything except powerbelts in it. Does anyone else happen to have one of these beautifull inlines and have a good load recipy? or should I be happy with the groups I'm getting?
Old 08-23-2009, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

340grn Deadcenters are a very accurate bullet in These rifles in the past.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

will79

Gosh! I am surprised that it will not shoot just about anything really well for you. I had a couple for seeral years and they were awesome. In fact the one was my go to testing gun.

Back in those days I shot a lot of .452/300 grain XTP's in a MMP HPH24 sabot from them at paper. For hunting I was shooting a .451/260 grain Nosler Partition for whitetail and .458/300 grain Nosler partitions for elk. Then i found the Speer Gold Dot bullets and began shooting them - they are very projectiles. All of these were shoot with 100 grain and then later 110 grains of T7-2f...

Here is a target I shot doing some sabot testing - not a great target as I was shooting through a Chono - which always adds a little pressure - i always worry about shooting the chrono...

Old 08-23-2009, 01:25 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for the help guys. I'm headin' out now to see if it will get any better. I'll let ya kno in a little while how it turns out.