Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
When does your ML season start and what do you plan to use? >

When does your ML season start and what do you plan to use?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

When does your ML season start and what do you plan to use?

Old 08-21-2009, 11:08 AM
Typical Buck

In New York we have a season in the northern zone with a different start date than in the southern zone. I usually bow hunt during October/November so my first ML hunt would be Nov. 21. That is the start of our reg gun season. After gun season is a ML season running from 12/12 thru 12/22. There is also a special shotgun season on Long Island that runs the month of January. You can use a ML during that season also.

First up would be my PH pushing a 275gr Parker BE behind 110gr of BH209. My daughter would be using the Accura and the 185gr Lehigh.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Eastern Oct 10-16
Central Nov 7-13...Muzzleloader can be used in either until January 1st when the Gun season closes...I use my muzzleloader about 75% of the time...

Last edited by nchawkeye; 08-21-2009 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Trying to add a pic...
Old 08-21-2009, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt on lands near the Jefferson National Forest in Virginia. Opens up for muzzleloading Nov 1 and last 2 weeks then rifle kicks in. I actually liked it when the season opened a week later; colder and closer to the rut. This took a week of bow season away where the hunting woods were all but deserted. The The last week of hunting season which ends the first saturday in January is always muzzleloading or bow. Great time to pick up a doe.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Spike

Default Turkey Season

I am hoping to win an auction for a BP shotgun. I have never taken a turkey doing it this way. The BP season here in kansas opens very early
Old 08-24-2009, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

My poor Rem 700 .30-06 is being neglected. Ever since I started with muzzleloaders that's all I have used. After I get my first buck and doe on the ground this season I may pull out the 700 and give it a workout.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SWThomas
My poor Rem 700 .30-06 is being neglected. Ever since I started with muzzleloaders that's all I have used. After I get my first buck and doe on the ground this season I may pull out the 700 and give it a workout.

I'm just the opposite. I hunt with a ML mostly because it's a better choice than shotgun in a state where CF rifles are only legal in a small part of the state (which happens to not be the part of the state I live in ) during a special late antlerless season. If CF rifles were legal throughout Iowa with normal any-sex tags available, I'd probably only hunt with my CF rifles.

I like muzzleloaders, but they just don't have the convenience, accuracy or range of a CF rifle.

Mike
Old 08-25-2009, 04:55 PM
Spike

ky ml starts in oct two days of it and in dec seven days of ml
Old 08-26-2009, 07:00 AM
Spike

Here in south eastern PA (special regs area), we have one full week in October, then most of December and January instead of using a shotgun. A majority of that time is for antlerless whitetail deer. I have four antlerless tags and one buck tag. After Christmas, I can take an anterless deer with my buck tag if I am using a flintlock.

We have a lot of deer around here but not a lot of places to hunt. It is common to see Does with two fawns and every now and then with three fawns. They re-populate very quickly. Lots of farm crop damage.

I hope to use a tag or two during our archery season, but we will see how it goes.

I plan to do most of my muzzleloader hunting with a .45 cal Knight DISC Elite using 120 gr BH209, 200 gr SW in a tan MMP sabot, and NFPJ using Winchester 209 shotshell primer. This combo rivals the accuracy of my .270 Winchester out to 200 yards. Plenty far enough.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default MD Muzzy

Here is what the MD muzzy season looks like three seperate dates. I can actually take as many antlerless as I want in my county. I will be using my Optima Elite with BH and 200gr SW's.

Oct 22- Oct 24
Antlered or Antlerless
(Only 1 Antlered deer may be taken during these dates)
Total Bag Limit:
2 Antlered
10 Antlerless
Oct 26- Oct 31
Antlerless Only
Dec 19- Jan 2
Antlered or Antlerless
Old 08-26-2009, 10:17 AM
Spike

Getting stuff ready right now elk seaon starts in two weeks can't wait. going up labor day weekend to set up camp check some wallows I get goose bumps just thinking about it. I shoot a Remington Genesis with 110g T7 CVA 348 power belts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.