Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
When does your ML season start and what do you plan to use? >

When does your ML season start and what do you plan to use?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

When does your ML season start and what do you plan to use?

Old 08-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Fork Horn

We have 3 different options in Oh. Early season is from Oct. 19 - 24. 1 deer only, duck or doe in 3 different specified areas in the state. 2 hr. + for me, I won't be going. I think it's BS it isn't state wide.
I do have 3 different stands 20 min. from my back door. The bow is lighter anyways.

Our shotgun comes in 11-30 to 12-6, + an extended gun Dec. 19 and 20th. Hand guns of certain cal. and ML are allowed. NO RIFLES during any part of deer season. No ML again for me then either. As we do drive hunts around here. You are just kinda looked down upon carring anything less then a shotgun with the fellas I hunt with.

Jan. 9 - 12th.
IT'S FINALLY ML SEASON!
Old 08-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Typical Buck

Oct. 31 here in VA Hope to get me a Halloween buck

I will be using my Hawkens .50 kit I put together earlier this yr when my hours were cut back and needed something to work on for my days off.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails When does your ML season start and what do you plan to use?-smhawk.jpg  
Old 08-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gunrac
You are just kinda looked down upon carring anything less then a shotgun with the fellas I hunt with.

Jan. 9 - 12th.
IT'S FINALLY ML SEASON!
Yeah, back in high school when I participated in drive hunts they were teasing me for bringing along a ML instead of a shotgun all morning ("That's stupid, you only get one shot"). Then a doe ran across in front of us, three of them emptied their guns without hitting her, and I calmly took a knee and rolled her with a single shot from 140 yds (looked up at them and said something to the effect of "Unlike you, I only NEED one shot"). (not a shot I'd take today but I was 16). That shut them up REAL quick.

If you can hit'em, go ahead and take it. You'll find yourself aiming a lot better without having the extra shells in the back of your head.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Typical Buck

In Arizona you have to get drawn to hunt anything and I have not been drawn for three years. If I could hunt it would be with the NEF Huntsman with a backup of the White Ultra Mag as a second choice especially for Elk.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:08 PM
Fork Horn

I didnt get drawn for the ML season this year. Deer season starts on the 4th Saturday in September for me and goes for....I think 36 days. If I were to get drawn, the ML season goes from the end of October thru the first two weeks of November.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

Our ML season doesn't start until first Monday in Dec. and goes for a week. By then I will have been archery hunting since Oct. 1 and regular rifle hunting the first week in Nov. I am planning on using the ML duting the reg rifle hunt in Nov. as by the time Dec. rolls around we are usually thigh deep in snow. 'll use 54 T/C Hawken perc./ PRB over 90 gr 3f Goex. We are in med heavy bush and 80 yd shots are the max.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Fork Horn

here in Utah i will be hunting ( the very few that are left ) deer in the muzzle loader season from sept 23- Oct 1 and then for the very plentiful Elk , i will be hunting the muzzle loader season from Oct 28- Nov 6th , We have very short season for both , I will be hunting the last 5 days of the elk hunt hopping the snow comes by then moving more elk into my area . I will be using my Encore with a .25 acp conversion and 777 with a 300 grain .452 XTP mag . The Xtp did a number on a mule deer for me and Two elk , one was my sons and one a friends . Grouse , Dove , Deer , Elk , Ducks and Geese seasons and cool weather ( i hate the heat ) are just around the corner !!
Old 08-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

Here in Eastern NC ML season comes in OCT 10-16 with Gun season coming in on OCT 17th. In gun season, you can use whatever you want. I plan on using my TC Triumph with Nikon Omega 3-9X40 if I can get all my supplies in and get her sighted in in time!--DrASUS
Old 08-19-2009, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Early ML season in Iowa starts Oct. 17th and runs through Oct. 25th. Late ML season is 10/21 through 01/10/10. Muzzleloaders are also legal weapons during both shotgun seasons and any other season when firearms are legal. Iowa has few restrictions on what type of ML's are legal. Inlines, scopes, smokeless powder, sabots, etc... are all legal. Basically, if it loads from the front and is at least 44 cal, it's legal.

Mike
Old 08-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh, and to answer the rest of your question, I plan to hunt early ML this year, with my Savage 10ML-II shooting a 300gr Barnes Expander MZ sabot over 43.5 grains of AA 5744. I'm good to a tested 200 yards with this load.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.