Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Thor's on the Range >

Thor's on the Range

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Thor's on the Range

Old 08-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Banned

Default Thor's on the Range

I got my bullets today so i took the Cabelas Sporterized Hawken .50cal out to my 100 yard range.

My first shot was at my sand bucket so i could recover the bullet ( I did!!) and my next 3 shots were at the target.

I ordered the .500" 247gr Colorado Thor, and on a clean bore, they will lift off the charge but once you foul it, they stay in place tight. This rifle will be using a fouled bore during hunting season.

Accuracy - My first outing i was pretty over heated with firing 3 rifles and getting everything on.

First 3 shot group @ 100 yards.
I was damn happy with this group because this rifle has a 1:48 twist and supposedly wasnt supposed to do to great with these bullets. My guess is due to the length but im a believer in the words "You'll never know, Until you try"

After the 4 shots, i took it home and swabbed the barrel clean and took a rest to settle the nerves and measure out more powder charges and to weigh the bullets on my scale.

I used (94 grains by weight) Goex 3f in this rifle and the fouling was very acceptable.

Accuracy again, Pretty darn awesome! I blew shot #3 probably due to running up and down the range after each shot but thats okay, thats what you do when you're in the field hunting.

Shot #1 left a big smile on my face ear to ear.

This rifle is sighted in and ready for hunting season after 7 shots!

My CVA Hawken & CVA Mountain Stalker on the other hand i am having issues with. The .500 Thors are still to big. I need them sized to around .498" I emailed Thor on this and will see what they can do. These are shooting great out of the 1:48 twist Hawken so i'd really like to use them in both CVA's.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice shooting!!! What did the recovered Thor look like? Looks like you are all set up for this fall.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Dominant Buck

nice shooting
Old 08-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

You might want to rethink what you're shooting Devil. Looking at your target I see some of your bullets seem to be leaving a piece of plastic over the bullet hole and sealing it up. That's really going to screw up your blood trails.

Good shooting.

I wonder if dipping the back half of the bullet in Lee's Liquid Alox and letting it dry would allow you to hunt on a clean barrel without worry about the bullet moving off the powder.

Last edited by Semisane; 08-08-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good shooting! Did they come without the ballistic tips or did you pull them out?
Old 08-08-2009, 07:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Good shooting! Did they come without the ballistic tips or did you pull them out?
The Colorado Thor comes without the Tip. If the tip were in, it would be much to long for our rules.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
The Colorado Thor comes without the Tip. If the tip were in, it would be much to long for our rules.
That's cool. I've heard that the law there requires the bullets to be a certain length but I didn't know Thor shipped them like that.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Banned

Thor is also coming out with a Generation II bullet this fall, Along with an inexpensive 295gr lead Thor ( Great for states that only allow lead conicals)

These bullets will pierce through 1/4" steel without expanding. They work best in Flesh (Water based)..

This evening im going to put a gallon jug of water in front of my sand bucket and test a few more. Then bring it into 20 and 50 yards for more testing. A soaking wet newspaper test is also going to happen.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Semisane
I wonder if dipping the back half of the bullet in Lee's Liquid Alox and letting it dry would allow you to hunt on a clean barrel without worry about the bullet moving off the powder.
It worked perfect! I just put a little dab on the bullet and smeared it around and after letting it dry all day, loaded it up and it now stays put.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

It worked perfect! I just put a little dab on the bullet and smeared it around and after letting it dry all day, loaded it up and it now stays put.
Ya see, Sabotloader isn't the only guy improving the world one shooter at a time!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.