Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
TC Power Rod and ballistic tip sabot users >

TC Power Rod and ballistic tip sabot users

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC Power Rod and ballistic tip sabot users

Old 07-25-2009, 12:10 PM
Spike

Default TC Power Rod and ballistic tip sabot users

I purchased a TC Endeavor this past Spring. I love everything about the gun, but I have a question regarding hunting situations and loading ballistic tip bullets (like hornady SST's, for example) after say shooting at a deer. I have a ballistic tip jag on a bullet starter and another one that I place on my Power rod, but obviously the ballistic jag wont fit down the placement holes to keep the rod with the starter on the barrel--I have to take the ballistic starter off to get the ram rod back on the gun. Do most of you just reload another sst or whatever with a starter with a ballistic type jag then push it down the barrel the rest of the way with the ramrod without the ballistic tip bullet starter? If the deer is down, I can take my time to put the jag back on the ramrod, but what if i need to reload quickly? I could maybe just load an xtp type bullet or something, but I'd like to use the bullets that i've sighted in. Just wondering what the rest of you do.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have an excellent range rod I use at the range, I use the regular TC solid aluminium rod out of the Omega or the Triumph for hunting with a bullet fitted jag which I never take off that rod. I don't like the power rod because of this problem and I will replace it first chance I get. I might cut the end off the so call power rod and drill and tap it and put the elongated jag TC sends with it. Lee
Old 07-25-2009, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I load the first bullet with my range rod that has a Spin-Jag on it before I enter the woods. Once I take my shot, I just reload with the Power Rod. I have pushed bullets out after a hunt before and the Power Rod hasn't had any adverse affects on the ballistic tip. I wouldn't worry about reloading with just the Power-Rod. It should be fine. And there's no sense in carrying along extra gear when you don't need it.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

I have the old power rod and it has a tip on it that lets me load bt bullets . With this rod the handle sticks out about 1/2" , but I have not had any problems with it .

Last edited by chaz3815; 07-25-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:40 PM
Spike

Good suggestions. I don't think the tip of a bullet would be that adversely affected by loading it without the special jag, but I might just use the ramrod from my Omega and do as Chaz does. You'd think the engineers at TC would've thought about and anticipated this issue on such a pricey gun. Seriously though, I can't complain; the gun is sweet despite the Power Rod!
Old 07-25-2009, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by chaz3815
I have the old power rod and it has a tip on it that lets me load bt bullets . With this rod the handle sticks out about 1/2" , but I have not had any problems with it .
That's pretty much how the newer Power-Rod is. The tip is flared so you can use it as a jag and it's deep enough to load tipped bullets with. It's also threaded so you can use your favorite attachments if you want to.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SWThomas
That's pretty much how the newer Power-Rod is. The tip is flared so you can use it as a jag and it's deep enough to load tipped bullets with. It's also threaded so you can use your favorite attachments if you want to.

+1

I use the my PH power rod at the range just to see what happens. My current go to load using Parker BEs (long sharp black BT) fits inside the threaded portion of the rod and accuracy is outstanding. I see no problem. I have a spin jag but it is not deep enough for this particular bullet...so I don't use it for them.