Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
What are your fall/ winter plans? >

What are your fall/ winter plans?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What are your fall/ winter plans?

Old 07-23-2009, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What are your fall/ winter plans?

So what are all your plans? Anyone have loads figured out yet? Im hunting plains mule deer, maybe antelope, and maybe elk.

I dont know what im shooting yet. Either my 54cal or 58cal Renegade. I need to do some shooting to see what loads Im shooting.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:02 AM
mountaineer magic

Well we start Sept 26th with bow hunting ( lasts til Jan 31,2010). I have 2 tags I any deer and 1 antlerless. Have a PSE and a Reflex compound. Then the first week of october it's Antelope using my Knight Disc extreme ( 50 cal), and antlerless deer at the same time.( 2 weeks) I usually have a Refuge tag for deer also in October.( 1 week) Nov is rifle season ,But I still use a muzzle loader. Usually 3 tags there. then Dec.12th muzzleloader season til Jan 31 2010. 5 tags there usually.
Plan on using my Knight ( 50 cal) for antelope. Triumph( 50 cal) during rifle season. Lyman Great Plains hunter( 54 cal) during muzzle loader. And T/C Hawken (50 cal)with sharpshooter barrel will get used in there at some point. Might try the Renegade(45cal) I got from Bronko , during muzzie season also.. some of the loads I use are
100 gr 777 and 250 gr shockwave in the Triumph. 110 gr 777 and 290gr TMZ in the Knight.( might use Blackhorn this year) 100 gr 777 and 425 gr Great plains bullet in the Great Plains Hunter. 90 gr and a 200 gr sst in the Renegade.
100 gr and 460 gr conical in the Hawken.The wife uses a Genesis 50 cal with 100 gr 777 and 250 gr shockwave and she just bought herself a Savage 270 for rifle season. Plan on hunting Antelope, White Tail and some Mulies. There's lots of them around

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 07-24-2009 at 05:11 AM.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Our deer season starts Aug 15th here but I don't plan to do a lot of hunting then. It'll still be quite hot and I'll be planting my food plot around then. I'm still giving the lime a little time to soak into the soil. I'll probably get after them around the time my beans start growing good.... If the deer don't mow them down before they can.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:55 AM
Typical Buck

[1] sept. 10 to sept 16 caribou hunt ..[2] oct.10 to oct 17 moose hunt [3] november 7 to nov. 17 deer hunt [hope we have at least 6" of snow on the ground ] for the deer hunt.. ps. i hate warm weather for hunting nothing seems to move ...
Old 07-24-2009, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by heinz57
[1] sept. 10 to sept 16 caribou hunt ..[2] oct.10 to oct 17 moose hunt [3] november 7 to nov. 17 deer hunt [hope we have at least 6" of snow on the ground ] for the deer hunt.. ps. i hate warm weather for hunting nothing seems to move ...
Sounds like you'll be a busy man. What outfitters are you using?
Old 07-24-2009, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

A) Bow season
1) Maybe 1-2 mornings in my tree stand from last year. No time for cameras this year (it's 1.5 hrs away), so I'll be going on luck.
2) Try to get 1-2 mornings in the dirt/mud in a ditch where I have shot bucks during gun season the past 2 years (prime bedding area). Wanted to get an elevated stand up but no time. Typically, owners spots a couple MONSTERS (150-160+ in) there in the last week of Oct/first week of Nov chasing does.

B) Montana, Oct 30-Nov 7 -- the Big trip!
1) Focus on back country bull elk. Primary weapon will be my 300WM Sendero, however I really hope to take in my X7 as well. Pack load and circumstances will dictate.
2) Mule deer. Opportunistic while elk hunting. Last year I settled for a small 4X4 then saw a couple real trophies the last day when we got into the good area earlier. Nobody hunts them that far back.
3) Antelope. Just found out I drew my tag. Will definitetely try to use the ML on this one as we'll be hunting from the truck. May take both long range Omega and X7 both as this will be a mop-up hunt in whatever time (potentially just hours) we have left after the elk/deer so I may not have time to execute a sub-150 yds stalk.

C) Whitetail - ML only of course. Focus on a buck but if I get one early or during bow I want to shoot 3-4 does to try out the 325 FTX.

It looks like a lot, but realistically I will be lucky to get 2-3 days in the field outside of the Montana trip. We will be within 5 weeks of my wife's due date by then.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

The same thing I do every fall and winter........contimplating world domination......ooops, wrong forum. I plan on shooting, flyfishing and hunting.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:10 AM
Fork Horn

I will begin shooting squirrels in August, the season opens the 15th. I will use flintlock Early English trade gun with shot because of the leaves on the trees. In early September archery season opens for deer and I plan to do some of that followed by primative weapons season and then into the regular firearms seeason. After archery season I will hunt fulltime with one of my flintlock rifles. Once the leaves begin falling I will switch to my .32 flintlock for squirrels.

I also put in an application for an alligator permit. I did not get drawn last year so with 1 preferance point I have a better chance of being drawn this time. I want to use my 69 cal flint pistol for the kill.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:26 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Sounds like you'll be a busy man. What outfitters are you using?
moose we have a camp up north ...deer at my friends [hunting partner] place .. caribou click on link below ...

http://www.explo-sylva.com/
Old 07-24-2009, 12:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

All of my hunting will be at my hunting club lease in St. Helena Parish, LA. No monster bucks there because it's pine tree plantation and not the type of habitat that grows large deer. But we have a good population overall so I expect to see a lot of deer and will take two or three does over the course of the season, and maybe a buck if the right 8-pointer comes along. I pass on younger bucks. I don't pass on coyotes or hogs though.

Last edited by Semisane; 07-24-2009 at 12:10 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.