Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Blackhorn

Old 07-24-2009, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

My T/C Omega does have a tight bore. I developed my own 10 shot rule because of what I experienced. JMHO. If you have soot left over in the barrel when you push your sabot down, wouldnt it also push all the soot down into the breech plug? I didnt mind doing maintainance every 10 shots or so when I used the BH209 at the range. Now its just a hunting load and I dont worry about it. I have gone through 1 box of T7 Pellets, 1 pound of T7 FFFg, 1 pound of T7 FFg and two 10oz containers of BH209 through my Omega since Christmas "08". I like the BH209 the best by far. After the T7 pellets, the BH209 was the first powder I used and then went to the T7 loose powder. That being said, It was a new rifle and the barrel wasnt broken in yet. I wonder if that had anything to do with my experience. Now that its broke in, and I know much more about BP now than I did then. I may have to take it to the range with the BH and give her another try and see if my results change. Oh well, I guess I will just have to spend a little more time with my favorite rifle. Has anybody had trouble with hangfires or the breech plug due to the 209 primer fouling after many shots without swabbing?
Old 07-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have gone through 2 cases of BH since it came out, I think since I have heard an other person that had about the same experiences as you have and most of us have had a different experience with it that it is likely the cleaning fluid or oil that is causing the difference. You might try scrubbing out the barrel with alcohol before you shoot and see if you don't get less fouling. With my guns cleaning the barrel is the one thing that will put a shot out of the group. Lee
Old 07-24-2009, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

Wow, now thats a lot of Trigger Time. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by Powerfisher; 07-24-2009 at 06:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-25-2009, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by Powerfisher
Oh well, I guess I will just have to spend a little more time with my favorite rifle.
Now doesn't that just pi$$ you off having to waste all that time working with this gun and powder???
Old 07-25-2009, 01:37 PM
Spike

When we got Blackhorn at the shop last fall, I decided to test to see how many shots I could shoot without cleaning while still maintaining consistant groups and easy loading. I reached 63 shots before the end of the year without running a single patch. The last shot loaded just fine, and I never experienced any hang fires or other issues. Even after all those shots, cleanup was easy.
I was using 100 grn of Blackhorn behind a 240 gr Precision Rifle Bullet and Remington 209 primers in a Thompson Center Encore.
After using Triple 7 for several years, I wouldnt go back. Blackhorn 209 is everything I could want in a powder.