Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

S. Africa Hunt

Old 07-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

You have to match the bullet to the Game same as here. I would have certain choices for moose and grizzly bear to. Lee
Old 07-21-2009, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
You have to match the bullet to the Game same as here. I would have certain choices for moose and grizzly bear to. Lee
I'm not sure I understand what you mean... I use a 250g Barnes T-EZ for hog and deer. And I would be more than confident using that same bullet on bear and moose.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:55 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I'm not sure I understand what you mean... I use a 250g Barnes T-EZ for hog and deer. And I would be more than confident using that same bullet on bear and moose.
i have shot moose ,bears caribou and deer and would not be afraid of shooting it with the 250 gr. barnes ..my T/C ENCORE shoots better with the 250 gr. barnes expander it has a flat bottom [none boat-tail] ..

ps. the only north american animal that i shot in the shoulder is a bear ,to nail it on the spot ,they get very upset when wounded ..

we all have our pet loades and bullets ,and i am always open for new CONSTRUCTIVE advice ..
Old 07-21-2009, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by heinz57
i have shot moose ,bears caribou and deer and would not be afraid of shooting it with the 250 gr. barnes ..my T/C ENCORE shoots better with the 250 gr. barnes expander it has a flat bottom [none boat-tail] ..

ps. the only north american animal that i shot in the shoulder is a bear ,to nail it on the spot ,they get very upset when wounded ..

we all have our pet loades and bullets ,and i am always open for new CONSTRUCTIVE advice ..
It's good to know that a person who has actually harvested those animals believes a 250g Barnes can deliver.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure what I would use, but I shore would like to give it a try
Old 07-21-2009, 06:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by SWThomas
The last few years I have been using a 250 Gold Dot on deer and it has worked very well for me, but my choice for moose and big bear would be a bullet that has more penetration like a Nosler partition or a Gold Dot 300gr or a Lehigh 277gr.
There are a lot of others that would do the job like the Barnes, that I have not used as I could not get them to group when I first tried them a few years ago and some that I just have never tried.
There are a lot of bullets out there I doubt that many have tried them all. Lee
Old 07-22-2009, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

This thread is now back on topic...
Old 07-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

I think of the Big Five in Africa as big ole hogs. Tough skin, lots of adrenaline and an animal you better have the ultimate respect for. I would use the biggest, heaviest hardest penitrating bullet I could force down my bore and use BH209 to push it.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

A friend from NJ goes to Africa quite often. He went for Cape Buffalo and took his 8 bore muzzle loader.