Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
sight adjustment/powder >

sight adjustment/powder

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

sight adjustment/powder

Old 07-18-2009, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default sight adjustment/powder

My new simmons scope broke today so I tried to sight in my cva wolf with open sights. I ran out of sight adjustment and it's still shooting about 3 inches high at 50 yards. I'm shooting 100 grains of pyrodex pellets and 295 grain powerbelts. My question is if I get some powder tomorrow and drop down to 80 or 90 grains of powder could I correct this? I tried 3 other bullets but they didn't hold as tight of a group and shot even higher. I'm guessing because they were all lighter bullets.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

bowfisherman

3" is a lot - you are probably going to need to get a higher front sight...
Old 07-18-2009, 03:56 PM
Banned

3" @ 50 yards is right where you need to be. It will be 3" high @ 100 yards and dead on at 150.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

You could always shim the rear sight.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

It might sound stupid but are you putting the bulls eye above your front sight and taking a fine bead?
Old 07-18-2009, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Grouse45
It might sound stupid but are you putting the bulls eye above your front sight and taking a fine bead?
not sure exactly what you mean but yes I'm holding below the bullseye.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sabotloader
bowfisherman

3" is a lot - you are probably going to need to get a higher front sight...
yeah, I'll try shimming it.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

bowfisherman

Pretty sure that is what Grouse was asking... if you were using a 6 o'clock hold on the bull which actually makes a figuer 8...

SW's suggestion of the shim is a good thought, but, I am not sure how you will be able to shim the front sight unless on the Wolf it screws down to the front of the barrel rather than being a dove-tail. If it screws down then inserting a piece of aluminum from a pop can might be just about right.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sabotloader
bowfisherman

Pretty sure that is what Grouse was asking... if you were using a 6 o'clock hold on the bull which actually makes a figuer 8...

SW's suggestion of the shim is a good thought, but, I am not sure how you will be able to shim the front sight unless on the Wolf it screws down to the front of the barrel rather than being a dove-tail. If it screws down then inserting a piece of aluminum from a pop can might be just about right.
Its screws down. I used a piece of plastic from a soda bottle. It might just do it. If you think aluminum would be better I'll go get a coke form the store. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

bowfisherman

The only reason I suggested the alum-num was it was a fairly durable material and not to thick... if the plastic works for you great... but since I am not sure what you might have used I do not know how thick it might be... on a front sight a little bt can go a long ways...

Give it a shot...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.