HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   sight adjustment/powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/298203-sight-adjustment-powder.html)

bowfisherman 07-18-2009 02:50 PM

sight adjustment/powder

My new simmons scope broke today so I tried to sight in my cva wolf with open sights. I ran out of sight adjustment and it's still shooting about 3 inches high at 50 yards. I'm shooting 100 grains of pyrodex pellets and 295 grain powerbelts. My question is if I get some powder tomorrow and drop down to 80 or 90 grains of powder could I correct this? I tried 3 other bullets but they didn't hold as tight of a group and shot even higher. I'm guessing because they were all lighter bullets.

sabotloader 07-18-2009 03:48 PM

bowfisherman

3" is a lot - you are probably going to need to get a higher front sight...

MountainDevil54 07-18-2009 03:56 PM

3" @ 50 yards is right where you need to be. It will be 3" high @ 100 yards and dead on at 150.

SWThomas 07-18-2009 04:28 PM

You could always shim the rear sight.

Grouse45 07-18-2009 04:41 PM

It might sound stupid but are you putting the bulls eye above your front sight and taking a fine bead?

bowfisherman 07-18-2009 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Grouse45 (Post 3387123)
It might sound stupid but are you putting the bulls eye above your front sight and taking a fine bead?

not sure exactly what you mean but yes I'm holding below the bullseye.

bowfisherman 07-18-2009 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by sabotloader (Post 3387100)
bowfisherman

3" is a lot - you are probably going to need to get a higher front sight...

yeah, I'll try shimming it.

sabotloader 07-18-2009 05:29 PM

bowfisherman

Pretty sure that is what Grouse was asking... if you were using a 6 o'clock hold on the bull which actually makes a figuer 8...

SW's suggestion of the shim is a good thought, but, I am not sure how you will be able to shim the front sight unless on the Wolf it screws down to the front of the barrel rather than being a dove-tail. If it screws down then inserting a piece of aluminum from a pop can might be just about right.

bowfisherman 07-18-2009 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by sabotloader (Post 3387141)
bowfisherman

Pretty sure that is what Grouse was asking... if you were using a 6 o'clock hold on the bull which actually makes a figuer 8...

SW's suggestion of the shim is a good thought, but, I am not sure how you will be able to shim the front sight unless on the Wolf it screws down to the front of the barrel rather than being a dove-tail. If it screws down then inserting a piece of aluminum from a pop can might be just about right.

Its screws down. I used a piece of plastic from a soda bottle. It might just do it. If you think aluminum would be better I'll go get a coke form the store. Thanks for the help everyone.

sabotloader 07-18-2009 06:10 PM

bowfisherman

The only reason I suggested the alum-num was it was a fairly durable material and not to thick... if the plastic works for you great... but since I am not sure what you might have used I do not know how thick it might be... on a front sight a little bt can go a long ways...

Give it a shot...