Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Loose Triple 7 Powder >

Loose Triple 7 Powder

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Loose Triple 7 Powder

Old 07-17-2009, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Troutman10
spaniel,
I went to the Hodgdon website and read the manual about their products. I was comparing the 250 gr. Hornady bullet to different amounts of powder while looking at their tables. The tables showed a 100 gr. load of FFFg loose powder had somewhere around a 100-200 fps difference vs. two 777 pellets. I'm sure it's not always true because every gun is different, but it's interesting to me.
I'm not 100% sure but I think I read somewhere that 777 pellets were the equivalent of 2 Pyrodex pellets. In other words, two 50 grain 777 pellets are less than 100 grains of loose 777. That would explain the difference in the muzzle velocity. I think 777 is about 15% hotter than Pyrodrex. I've used the 777 3F and it burns much cleaner in my Knight than the 2F.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

It was widely published that two 777 pellets were designed to equal two Pyrodex pellets which were equal to 100grains of Pyrodex RS. I believe the difference is most often about 12 % There are other differences which are not as obvious like the difference in the pressure peaks, which affects the vibration or "whip" of the barrel. For instance Pyrodex RS has a more rounded pressure peak and 777 has a short sharp pressure peak, the strength of the peak changes with the amount of powder and Blackhorn is progressive burning and the shape of the pressure peak changes with the amount of powder and the weight of the bullet, that's why powders act so much different even when they are propelling a bullet at the same velocity and why some guns shoot much better with one powder than an other. Lee