HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   scope (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/297122-scope.html)

jaybez101099 07-03-2009 01:39 PM

scope

Does anyone know who makes Cabelas scopes?
Looked at a few and they seems nice.
A worker told me Cabelas makes them but I know thats not true.

Powerfisher 07-03-2009 02:00 PM

RE: scope

I just called Cabelas and asked. I was told that Cabelas actually makes their own scopes. Its not a Bushnell or BSA with Cabelas name on it. They have a new scope out for MLs. I guess they are trying to keep up with the Nikon Omega. Its called the Powderhorn Muzzleloader Scope. $99.99. That seems like a low price but I know a few folks that have Cabelas scopes and they say that they work just fine.

SWThomas 07-03-2009 02:04 PM

I know some people on this forum have them and like them. But I have been bitten way too many times by cheap products and now, with most things, I live by the old adage "You get what you pay for". So I bought a Nikon.

jaybez101099 07-03-2009 03:19 PM

POWERFISHER.....I was told by the store guy the same as you were told on the phone.
SW......I agree 100% but they looked nice at the store.
I plan on ordering from Natchez another omega

falcon 07-03-2009 05:29 PM

I know some people on this forum have them and like them. But I have been bitten way too many times by cheap products and now, with most things, I live by the old adage "You get what you pay for".
Been there done that a bunch of times.The less expensive Cabela's scopes are made in China, of course. The one i bought for a muzzleloader did not last 20 rounds.

wolverine72 07-03-2009 07:49 PM

ORIGINAL: SWThomas

I know some people on this forum have them and like them. But I have been bitten way too many times by cheap products and now, with most things, I live by the old adage "You get what you pay for". So I bought a Nikon.
Agreed -- I stay with the name brands. When large retailers outsource, the same product is often made by diffrent manufacturers from year to year, or quickly discontinued. Continually chasing the cheaper price only creates poor quality control and dissatisfied customers.

I recently went to Cabelas and looked at scopes for a Disc Extreme. I was quite impressed with the Nikon Pro Staffs. Read a lot of reviews and opinions on these scopes, and ended up buying a new 2-7x32 on-line for $110 shipped. What a great scope, and a tremendous value.

cayugad 07-03-2009 09:10 PM

Many years ago, a friend bought a rifle from Cabela's and it came with a Pine Ridge Scope. After he tried what he felt should work, he came to my house and wanted to see why his load would not shoot straight. I shot about five shots and suspected the scope to be no good. So I pulled the Pine Ridge Scope and shot with his open sights. It was not the rifle that had the problem. I had a cheap Bushnell in the house, so I mounted that on his rifle and he shot a 1-1/2 group at 50 yards with it before he left. He sent the scope back in and got me another Bushnell.

Now I am not saying all Pine Ridge scopes are bad. I have heard of others that got Pine Ridge scopes and had great luck with them. And I once got a Bushnell Banner in and it would not sight it. So perhaps there is a chance with the cheaper end scopes you can get a bad one. I guess that happens. I have not owned a Cabela's but I heard they were made in China. (which is not the end of the world either)

rafsob 07-04-2009 07:04 AM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I have not owned a Cabela's but I heard they were made in China. (which is not the end of the world either)
Quite a few optics are made in China now-a-days. I have owned many different types and brands of scopes and some will fail and others will not. I ended up destroying two expensive rifle scopes when I mounted them on MLs. Sent them back to the factory and got them fixed. However one company tech sent a note back with the scope and told me not to install it on a ML again. That it was not made for one! So now I only put ML scopes on MLs.

However, lately I have paid the extra cash and bought Leupolds. Latest aquisition was an Ultimate Slam for my new Knight Vision and love it. Clear, clear, and clear!!! But then again I did did break down and go cheap and bought aSimmons 6-18x40mmfor my CZ .17 HMR and love the performance of it. It also is clear and I am more then satisfied. Sometimes six of one and half dozen of another.

hunting junkie 07-04-2009 07:15 AM

I have the powderhorn muzzleloader scope on my pro hunter.So far so good.

cayugad 07-04-2009 08:02 AM

I normally look for a 32mm shotgun scope.. I just find that even with the limited field of view, for the kind of shooting I do... they work fine.