Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 What bullet did you use last year and...... >

What bullet did you use last year and......

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What bullet did you use last year and......

Old 06-29-2009, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What bullet did you use last year and......

how was the results?

I started off last year in TN using the 250grn Hornady FTX. I shot one Buck and Two Doe and the results were not good. No blood and needed help finding the Deer on all occasions. I actually lost a Deer with that bullet. No blood or anything to find in the deep woods.

I came back to PA and used the 275grn Parker Ballistic Extreme and shot a couple Deer in our early Muzzleloader season. As usual this has been one of the best bullets i ever used.

Took off to Texas and used the Trusted 275grn Parker Ballistic Extreme. I shot coyotes, plenty of Deer and a Buck with this bullet. Excellant results every time.

Came back to PA to try and shoot a Buck with a 250grn T/C Shockwave. Got lucky the and achieved that. The bullet performed excellant with plenty of blood to track and the good size buck only went about 40yards.

Went out to Ohio to a friends house and shot a couple Doe with a 250grn SW to support what i had found with the PA buck. Again no problem and great results.

Back to PA in Flintlock season and shot a couple Doe with a 300grn Precision Rifle Extreme Elites HP. Here again excellant results and lot's of blood to track no more then 40 or 50 yards.

I've enjoyed using a variety of different bullets over the years. One thing is for sure, there are plenty of bullets that will do a great job on Deer size game. Not to mention a few Coyotes and Pigs thrown in along the way.

All but one Deer was shot with BH209. The Buck in PA was shot with the Smokeless Powder Savage Muzzleloader.

These are the bullets that i used and a brief summary of the results with them. Looking forward to hear your results with your favorite bullet or bullets. As you all know, i love pictures. Dont be afraid to post your pictures as well. All animals with a Muzzleloader are Trophies to me. Horns or NO Horns.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What bullet did you use last year and......

These are someresults that I remember the details on fromour hunting leaselast season. The first one was mine. The rest were other kills that I helped find or drag out.

Mature doe - broadside chest at80/85 yards- 300 grain Gold Dot - pass through - traveled 30 yards - goodblood trail starting10 yards from shot.
Mature buck - behind shoulder on slight facing angle at60/65 yards- 250 grain Shockwave - bullet under skin just behind liver - traveled 50+ yards - no blood trail.
Mature doe - center base of neck at 75/80 yards- 250 grainBarnes - pass through - dropped on shot.
Mature doe - broadside chest at 85/90 yards - 240 grain XTP - bullet under skin opposite side - traveled 25 yards - no blood trail.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:27 PM
Banned

Last year i used a home cast .530 round ball with 80gr pyrodex rs and cleanly took my elk at 140 yards. Easily would use that load again in a heart beat.
http://www.biggamehunt.net/stories/C..._01250912.html
Old 06-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Hunted hard with a White rifle and a 500 grain conical as I remember. And some days I switched to roundball. And I carried some days a Knight Disc with Barnes 250 grain. Never saw a deer all season.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:22 AM
Fork Horn

Shot 2 does with my White .451 using 465gr Bullshop conicals and 70gr of Swiss 3F. First doe went about 30 yards after being hit behind the left shoulder. The second doe was a neck shot and she went down where she stood. Both shots were approximately at 60 yards. Lots of blood on the ground on both deer.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Lastdeer/elk season I used the 350 grainFPB in my Encore. Did not kill a deer with that Encore but took three good hogs with it-bang flops all. My three deer were killed with my cheap old CVA StagHorn and the excellent 240 grain .430 bullet thati have used for many years. Two of the deeri took last year were badly shot and some tracking wasrequired in order to recover them.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:33 AM
Fork Horn

Deer# 1 was a doe shot in the neck at 25 yards. Dropped on the spot

Deer # 2 was a spike buck shot in the neck @25 yards and droped on the spot.

Deer # 3 was a buck with 5 points on the left and right side broken off just above the brow tine. I shot him in the right shoulder. The bullet exited behind the left shoulder. Heart and lungs destroyed. He ran 60 yards, left no blood trail and didn't even kick the leaves around where he fell. He was standing in the same spot as the spike when I shot him.

I used my 58 caliber flinterwith 570 round ball, pillow ticking patch and 90gr of Goex3f. All bullets exited the deer.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Less deer hunting than normal as I burned most of my time off out west with a rifle (sacriligious!)

Nice big 9-pt, 200 yds, typical load of 200SW and 110gr 777. Typical result, bang-flop and pass-thru.

Hunted a morning of ML season for the first time in years, with my elk load. 300 bonded SW and 130gr 777, bang-flop, hit a little high so didn't pass through more than 6 inches of flesh, no bone to hit, no expansion. No surprising for a hard heavy bullet.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Didn't get much hunting in last year due to being on the drill field. But I did manage to shoot a nice deer down in FL with my .30-06. No muzzleloader kiils though.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shot up hill 10mm/200 grain xtp/mag over 110 grains BH209 in a cr40/50 sabot. !st shot 140 yards low in the boidy no blood trail, 2nd shot heart at 40 yards drt, again no blood. Found the 1st bullet and it had traveled up threw the the body and lodged in the skin on the right shoulder. mushroomed perfectly.

Shot 83 grains goex 3f , flinter using a TC Cheapo Shot wounded a deer at 97 measured yards, broke the shoulder very litlle blood (didn't sleep all night) got up next morning in the first drive drove her into a poster that finished her DRT. He used 80 grains goex 3f under a pillow tickand a .495 /177 grain ball.

Quick Reply: What bullet did you use last year and......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.