Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 What bullet did you use last year and...... >

What bullet did you use last year and......

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What bullet did you use last year and......

Old 06-30-2009, 03:34 PM
mountaineer magic

Default RE: What bullet did you use last year and......

ORIGINAL: rt_con

chetmarks: Cute kids !... and nice deer too.
Thanks That's only 1/4th of them ,kids that is 4 boys 4 girls.

Art: I am old enough to be their grandpa,but i'm not. That's what happens when you are 41 before the first one hatches. The oldest just turned 12.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think they help ya stay young. I started late too, but not quite that late.
Now my youngest one is 16, I am losing my garden workers.
Art
Old 06-30-2009, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shot 1 8pt buck with a muzzleloader last year. CVA optmia elite with 110gr of pryo P pushing a 250gr shock wave bonded. Shot the buck at 50 yards, complete pass thru right behind the shoulder and he ran 35 yards before giving up the ghost.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:41 PM
Spike

Used a 250 gr bonded SW on large buck, he dropped in his tracks, Used a 200 grain SW on a large doe. She went 40 yds as I hit her too far back, hit liver and 1 lung, good blood trail, she expired quickly. I know better than to shoot one trotting. BH 209 powder, win 209's, 50 cal encore and a .45 knight disc extream. A pal of mine used my knight and 200 gr sw on a large buck, DRT.
Grouse you shot them tipped lehighs yet??
Wayles
Old 07-01-2009, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wayles
Wayles
Yes i have. They have been extremely accurate in the Savage with BH209. The savage is 1/24 twist. I do have a couple guy's playing around with them. I just got a report the other day with some 1.3" groups out of a 1/28 twist barrel. Also noticed about 4" less drop at 200yards. So they are coming around.

I'm not going to suggest to Lehigh to sale tipped bullets this year. Remember a liquid is what makes the current Lehigh bullets works so well. The liquid fills the HP and the petals shear and go into the chest cavity severing arteries.

I actually think the tips will keep the bullet from performing the way it is suppost to. With the tip on it, i believe it will be another mushrooming/expanding bullet. I will this winter shoot some game with the tipped bullets to see how they perform. My first few Deer will be with regular Hollow point bullets to satisfy myself with more game on the bullets.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Grouse45

ORIGINAL: wayles
Wayles
Yes i have. They have been extremely accurate in the Savage with BH209. The savage is 1/24 twist. I do have a couple guy's playing around with them. I just got a report the other day with some 1.3" groups out of a 1/28 twist barrel. Also noticed about 4" less drop at 200yards. So they are coming around.

I'm not going to suggest to Lehigh to sale tipped bullets this year. Remember a liquid is what makes the current Lehigh bullets works so well. The liquid fills the HP and the petals shear and go into the chest cavity severing arteries.

I actually think the tips will keep the bullet from performing the way it is suppost to. With the tip on it, i believe it will be another mushrooming/expanding bullet. I will this winter shoot some game with the tipped bullets to see how they perform. My first few Deer will be with regular Hollow point bullets to satisfy myself with more game on the bullets.
I think they may surprise you. That tip should punch back into the cavity and initiate expansion, and the surrounding tissue will still grab those petals and take them off. May penetrate an inch or two further before it happens but I bet it'll still happen. The inside of an animal isn't as fluid as we sometimes think it is.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Spike

The tipped lehigh will most likely shear as the hollow point does and if it dose not shear but expands so much the better in my estimation. Its what I wanted in the first place. He may have to take it down to something less in higth and weight to get it to stabilize but it will still work just fine. This tipped bullet has the potential for greater accuracy than the hollow point and it will kill just fine. For my money take it down to a 150 to 165 grain and let us make up our own minds. We are big boys. Have him sell them as a target bullet only for the newbies sake or somthin but they need to get stable and get out here.
Wayles
Old 07-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

I shot a 150Lb field dressed buck (my 1st deer with a muzzleloader) with 245gr tipped powerbelt and 2 777 pellets. It was pretty much a perfect broadside shot at 50yds. The bullet did fragment pretty bad, but it did catch a little of thefront shoulder before passing through the heart. I have mixed feelings withpowerbelts. The bullet did its job the deer dropped within 40yds and within sight, but the bullet basically blew apart and there was little orno blood until the deer dropped.

I've learned alot from all of you guys on this forum, so I will be trying a few different things this season. I'm thinking about trying either Hornady xtp's or Barnes expanders. I may even switch to loose powder this year
Old 07-04-2009, 05:53 AM
mountaineer magic

ORIGINAL: flounder33

I think they help ya stay young. I started late too, but not quite that late.
Now my youngest one is 16, I am losing my garden workers.
Art
Hopefully i have a while before that happens to me. here's a couple of my garden workers.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:59 AM
mountaineer magic

and another one

Quick Reply: What bullet did you use last year and......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.