Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Genesis problem (help) >

Genesis problem (help)

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Genesis problem (help)

Old 06-27-2009, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

Default Genesis problem update 7/11/09

The hammer is not coming far enough forward when I pull the trigger. The primer does not get hit hard enough so it only fires sometimes. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks, Brad

Last edited by bowfisherman; 07-11-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Genesis problem (help)

Have you tried...

# a different brand of primer?
# backing out the breech plug just a little.. although make sure it's not enough that the cam will not close.
# double check that the gun is together properly. I had that happen once. Put thebarrel channel firmly into the receiver, hold that together and make sure the right locking lug bolts are used to hold it all together. The long one goes the furthest forward on the receiver.. the two shorter ones, one holds the front fore end on, and the other goes in the back of the receiver close to the trigger.
# check the position of the firing pin. When your remove that small Allen screw to take it out of the cam, if you do not line that firing pin up exactly when you put it back together, it will not fire the primer..

just some things to try and check. see if that does not fix your problem.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I guess the first thing I would look for is if the firing pin needs cleaning or the hammer spring. Lee
Old 06-27-2009, 10:52 AM
Fork Horn

thanks for the tips. I didn't try a different primer but the times it didn't fire it wasn't dented as deep as the ones that did. Everything is put together right. Firing pin is lined up but was a little dirty. Just seems like the hammer wasn't hitting hard enough. Can't get it to do it now that I'm home. It happened the first shot of the morning and again torwards the end of the shooting session. Each time it misfired about 5 times in a row. I would order a new trigger assembly but can't find one online or even on the remington parts list on their site. Until I figure it out I won't take it hunting, thats for sure.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

If the above doesn't work for you and you want a new trigger assembly you'll have to go through Traditions. They make the Genesis for Remington.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is this a new gun or have you been using it ok for awhile?
Old 06-27-2009, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: spaniel

I've had it since january but have only used it a few times because I was waiting to get a scope on it. It's one of those things where if I sent it in under warranty they would test it and probably see no problem. Then I'll be at the range and it will misfire. After the rebate it only cost 90 bucks so I'm not too concerned. I'll keep it as a range gun and buy something else for hunting. Between my rimfire rifles centerfire rifles, waterfowl, predator and turkey shotguns, crossbows, recurves, compounds I don't have the time or patience to do trial and error replacing parts on this gun.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would try tweaking the hammer spring a little to give it some more tension.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowfisherman

ORIGINAL: spaniel

I've had it since january but have only used it a few times because I was waiting to get a scope on it. It's one of those things where if I sent it in under warranty they would test it and probably see no problem. Then I'll be at the range and it will misfire. After the rebate it only cost 90 bucks so I'm not too concerned. I'll keep it as a range gun and buy something else for hunting. Between my rimfire rifles centerfire rifles, waterfowl, predator and turkey shotguns, crossbows, recurves, compounds I don't have the time or patience to do trial with replacing parts on this gun.
That sucks... Had failure to fire and misfire issues with the last (and I mean LAST) Traditions gun I owned and just gave up and sold it. From my experience they will have little to no interest in helping you.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

cayudad, I think you were on to something. One of the frame barrel screws is a little stripped out. Actually the threads where it screws into the barrel are stripped. It has always sat in there a little funny. I noticed when I first got it but didn't think much of it. Gonna see if remington can help me. For now I bought a cva wolf to keep me busy. Not exactly top of the line but I read a lot of good things about them. Seems pretty solid.

Quick Reply: Genesis problem (help)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.