Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 How much powder to use? (Pyrodex Results page 6) >

How much powder to use? (Pyrodex Results page 6)

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How much powder to use? (Pyrodex Results page 6)

Old 06-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How much powder to use?

I cannot locate any real black powder around here...although some stores around do have the Pyrodex.

So All I should do is change the Powder?

BHB
Old 06-19-2009, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am not a RB shooter, but I agree with others, you won't get any accuracy if your patches are getting damaged as they are currently.

I also agree with the suggestion for wads or cornmeal to protect the patches. I have heard of a kind of sabot for use with RBs. Those may help.

I'm sure a switch to Pyrodex or real BP will cure the problem. You should be able to get Pyrodex at a Walmart for less than $20.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bailey I wish you lived close to me and we could go to the range. I would be able to letyou try different powders. Don't you have some friends that could work with you at your gun club? We tend to do this where I go and it helps.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:42 AM
Fork Horn

BHB,

The biggest obstacleI had to getting good PRB accuracy was understanding just how tightly a PRB loaded into my rifles.

I had long poo-pooed PRB. They were not as accurate (for me), more fuss to deal with, and just did not kill like my Maxi-Balls. The Maxi-Balls were not particularly accurate either (3" groups at 50 yards) but that beat Foster slugs from an IC 12 gauge back in the day, so that was that.

It was not until I got a good shooting inline, a Knight Wolverine, that it occured to me just how tightly a sabot round loaded. I got to thinking, a PRB is no more than a lubed cloth sabot.

So I tried different thickness in my 50 flinter and 54 Trade rifle, and it turned out the .495/015 and .535/.015 shot nice little clover leafs at 50 yards. Hard to load, but not plastic sabot hard. But way tighter than anything I had tried to date.

As far as 777 being to hot, I will defer to the others. The only hot powder I like is Swiss 3F black powder
Old 06-19-2009, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

The "Gun Club" around here is probably out at the range, which happens to be about 30 miles away. I dont want to go all the way over there to have to pay to shoot when I can shoot right down the road at a neighbors house with a range...I wish I knew a bunch of guys that shot BP but I dont. Thank goodness for you guys because I dont know what I would have done. The owner of a local gunshop that sold me all of his stuff is still telling me he shoots 2" groups at 50 yards with the 777 and .010 patched round balls out of his Hawken...I dont know how he does or if its true but anyway...

THANKS!
Old 06-19-2009, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Went to a local shop and there was Pyrodex Select but they were all out of RS. Hopefully gonna shoot some tonight and if not...tomorrow.

Will post results.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shot the pyrodex I bought today a few times, I dont know what it is that keeps killing my patches. But I need to fix it.

First Group:

Group 2:

Patches:

BHB
Old 06-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bullet Hole Bailey

I have not followed this thread - so I am just jumping in... How far from Kennewick, Washington or Lewiston, Idaho are you?

Old 06-19-2009, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I am in SW Oregon. In Grants Pass...Medford may be better known though, it is about 30 miles away.

Why do you ask?

BHB
Old 06-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well Bullet Hole, I am totally puzzled. Honestly, I've never seen patches consistently that torn up. You sure should not be getting that with all cotton pillow tick lubricated with olive oil. All I can think of is there's some kind of gremlin in your barrel. I would try giving it a dozen strokes with a tight patch wrapped with fine steel wool to see if you can kill that sucker. Another option is to wad up an extra patch and ram it down on top the powder before you load the patched ball.

Quick Reply: How much powder to use? (Pyrodex Results page 6)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.