Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 How much powder to use? (Pyrodex Results page 6) >

How much powder to use? (Pyrodex Results page 6)

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How much powder to use? (Pyrodex Results page 6)

Old 06-17-2009, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How much powder to use?

ORIGINAL: cayugad
I shoot 777 in my CVA Mountain Stalker/Bobcat all the time with no problems and excellent accuracy.
Cayuad,

Did you do anything special to get 777 to shoot in your CVA? When I tried it in mine I had a lot of misfires where the cap would go off but not ignite the powder. I tried tapping on the far side of the lock, with the lock facing the ground, to make sure that some powder went into the bolster but I still had misfires using a standard #11 cap and the factory nipple. I never had any trouble with Pyrex or Goex.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 06-17-2009, 07:34 PM
Dominant Buck

other then changing the nipple and being very careful when I prepare the rifle to shoot, I have not really done anything all that special. Also the quality of cap is a big item here.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok well I bought a half yard of the blue striped pillow ticking, and I have the denim. Cut some of those strips yall were talkin bout out of each fabric but do I just rub these with olive oil too? or just rub the sno seal on it?

I actually didnt care for the sno seal as much as the olive oil, it doesnt dry up and feel as clean as the olive oil but I will have to shoot em both.

1 1/4 strips right?

Thanks!

Goin to do some shootin in the mornin...so lets hope things go well!
Old 06-18-2009, 03:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd put SnoSeal on one set and olive oil on another and see which one your gun likes...

I've seen different lubes give different groups...
Old 06-18-2009, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Horizontal Hunter

ORIGINAL: cayugad
I shoot 777 in my CVA Mountain Stalker/Bobcat all the time with no problems and excellent accuracy.
Cayuad,

Did you do anything special to get 777 to shoot in your CVA? When I tried it in mine I had a lot of misfires where the cap would go off but not ignite the powder. I tried tapping on the far side of the lock, with the lock facing the ground, to make sure that some powder went into the bolster but I still had misfires using a standard #11 cap and the factory nipple. I never had any trouble with Pyrex or Goex.

Thanks,

Bob
As I stated before, this is common with 777 powder. The company even understands that their powder needs a hotter ignition. They even make a hotter 209 primer especially for 777 powder. Don't get me wrong, I like the stuff but only use it in my inlines. And it works well. Oh I am sure you can get 777 to fire using a regular #11 caps, but not with any consistency. So when I am in the woods and lining up a a shot for that trophy buck, I don't want my gun to not fire. It happened to me once.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!

But as with anything, this is all IMHO and through my experiences.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I headed out to the nieghbors house with the range and set up for another round with the ML. Set some targets up, got everything rolling and within minutes was torching off the smoke pole.

I had both olive oiled and sno-sealed pillow ticking and denim. I started off with olive oiled denim, Not anything good...

Next I went to the Sno sealed pillow ticking. And once again, not anything good...

And there really must be something wrong with my barrel because I took 15 shots and here is all I could find in the way of patches...And I spent quite a while looking...

So any advice now would be great also! haha

Thank you!

BHB
Old 06-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's the powder!!!!!

777 is too hot for cotton patches to survive the trip down the barrel...

Change to real black powder or Pyrodex...
Old 06-18-2009, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

When can we expect to seeyou change powders???

Let us know whenyou do this and what the results are.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I dont have enough money to just go off and buy ever dang thing I want and especially for a hobby. I thought I'd see if I could make do with what I got but I guess not. I will get Pyrodex or Real Black Powder when I can. But it seems like I would atleast get better results than what I am getting.

BHB
Old 06-18-2009, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Bullet Hole Bailey

Well I dont have enough money to just go off and buy ever dang thing I want and especially for a hobby. I thought I'd see if I could make do with what I got but I guess not. I will get Pyrodex or Real Black Powder when I can. But it seems like I would atleast get better results than what I am getting.

BHB
I agree that one of the best things you can do is to change your powder. I think that real black powder is often overlooked by many new shooters and I prefer it over Pyrodex. But, to answer your question in order to "made do" with the powder you have (777) you have to find a way to protect the patch. You could use a felt button (wad) between the powder and the patched ball or you could try to put about 10g of corn meal in between the powder and the patched ball. Either should protect the patch from getting destroyed and ruining your accuracy. I personally have used the feltwads but I have notused the cornmeal. I have seen significant improvements in mymaxi ball groups using the felt wads.

Bob

Quick Reply: How much powder to use? (Pyrodex Results page 6)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.