Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 CVA Product Liability/Injury Cases >

CVA Product Liability/Injury Cases

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Product Liability/Injury Cases

Old 06-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default CVA Product Liability/Injury Cases

Just found this in the web today.Many of these cases are the older CVA "recall" guns but some are newer guns. Will continue to use my CVA guns with moderate charges of powder.

http://www.cvaguncases.com/
Old 06-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: CVA Product Liability/Injury Cases

Thanks Falcon, I just checked, my CVA Wolf is of the 05 model year.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have a cva newer than 99.But when i ordered the 209 kit for my staghorn they did make me tell them the serial # first,
B
before they sold it to me.Great info falcon.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:58 AM
Spike

A very helpful site.

The site has a page that lists thelawsuits against other muzzleloaders manufacturers. I looked at the links for Knight, andseveral lawsuits are listed. All the lawsuits against Knight are for patent infringement or trademark infringement. None of the lawsuits against Knight are for personal injury.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Typical Buck

I like CVA; I think they make good arms, great value. I'm on my 2nd one.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Deleted by falcon.

Last edited by falcon; 07-10-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Spike

I am not bashing anyone but not all lawsuits are just. I was doing a Google search for another reason and came across this lawsuit against Knight. A guy mistakenly stored his loaded rifle in his house with the plunger against the primer. He is preparing to go out hunting and he realizes his mistake, does not have the secondary safety on, pulls back the plunger while pointing the loaded rifle at his hunting buddy. The plunger slips from his hand and the rifle goes off shooting his buddy in the leg. He turns around to sue Knight because they did not specifically warn him that this could happen. You decide who is at fault.

http://www.ai.org/judiciary/opinions...2310701ewn.pdf
Old 07-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Reading case law can be very misleading. Many times law suits are not settled for reasons of guilt but instead reasons of cost effectiveness. Always keep that in mind.

Now I am not overlooking the reports of CVA rifles failing. Any time a rifle fails and someone is injured, this is tragic. I would never make light of that. I have owned a CVA for many years (2003) and shot thousands of rounds out if it. Am I just lucky or is this a time bomb ticking? I really do not know the answer to that. Am I going to keep shooting it? Yes I guess I am.

If you have any doubts of the integrity of your rifle, I strongly urge you not to shoot it. If these reports you read give you reason for doubt, sell the rifle and get one you are comfortable with. If you abuse your rifle, then keep that in mind. If you are one that likes to push more in a load then a recommended manufacturer charge, you are playing with fire.

If you maintain your rifle, use manufacturer recommend loads, and are comfortable with the quality, you should have a rifle that serves you well.

Last edited by cayugad; 07-10-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:40 PM
Typical Buck

if people would concentrate more when they are loading they're ML on the range .most of these accidents would not happen ..DOUBLE LOADING your ML [any make] will produce a "PIPE BOMB" ...this spring we had an accident on the range the shooter was very lucky he only lost the tip of his right hand thumb ...he double loaded his ML ..i will not mention the make of the ML .because it was not defective.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:29 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Reese260
I am not bashing anyone but not all lawsuits are just. I was doing a Google search for another reason and came across this lawsuit against Knight. A guy mistakenly stored his loaded rifle in his house with the plunger against the primer. He is preparing to go out hunting and he realizes his mistake, does not have the secondary safety on, pulls back the plunger while pointing the loaded rifle at his hunting buddy. The plunger slips from his hand and the rifle goes off shooting his buddy in the leg. He turns around to sue Knight because they did not specifically warn him that this could happen. You decide who is at fault.
www.ai.org/judiciary/opinions/pdf/12310701ewn.pdf
Well, if that's the story... then it is clearly OPERATOR ERROR, and not Knight's fault in the least.

I sometimes leave my muzzleloader loaded for a couple/few days, in decent weather - leave it in the car, to avoid condensation! - but never, never leave a primer in the breech plug. It doesn't get a primer until I am ready to walk into the woods, and the primer comes off when I get back to the car. And though I have considered doing it... I DO NOT like the idea of lowering plunger onto a primer. Very bad idea, just thinking about it. What if you drop it, smacks handle? All sorts of potential for bad things, there.

Take the damned primer off. Easy.

Quick Reply: CVA Product Liability/Injury Cases

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.